Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Raw feeding

Hi everyone

I've given some thought as to what to feed Cox (GSD) when I get him. Having swayed between kibble and canned and a 100% raw diet, I've decided I will go for raw. Having researched the area, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the raw feeders have split into 2 camps: BARF and "prey model". Barfers in general add supplements, veggies, eggs yogurt etc to the raw meat, offal and bones, whereas "prey model" feeders do not.

I think, having considered the pros and cons, I will go with a more BARF like diet, on the basis that the supplements, veggies etc will do not harm as long as they are only a small proportion of the diet, whereas omitting these might (although I have no evidence of this, I would rather err on the side of caution).

However, I would be really interested in knowing what others who feed raw their dogs raw think. If anyone has sample menus, that would be really helpful too.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 02:01 PM
If you browse through previous raw threads on here you'll see that I'm a big supporter of the prey model diet.

Here's the deal;

Some people feed raw meat, bone and organ with supplements and veggies and their dogs look and feel great, fit and healthy on it. They feel more a part of the whole process in looking after their pets with the pureeing of veg and adding supplements.

Some people feed raw meat bone and organ and add some veg. Adding veg "just incase". Their dogs look and feel great, fit and healthy.

Some people feed raw meat bone and organ. Their dogs look and feel great, fit and healthy. And they are safe in the knowledge that all their animal needs is within the species appropriate meals they are giving.

Unless there is a medical reason to add supplements, I wouldn't bother tbh.

Here's a few websites to look at;
http://www.rawfeddogs.net/FAQlist
http://www.rawfed.com/myths/
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/
Look up the "Rawfeeding" group on yahoo as well.

For recipes, see here;
http://www.rawfeddogs.net/Recipes
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I feed my GSD bitch a barf type food & she also has vegetable treats cucumber & carrots this is how she was fed in her previous home & she does well on this. My old boy did no good on raw & I reverted to dry for him & he does really well on that. Hope your choice suits your dog.
Just make sure your protein content is not too high whatever you decide.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I feed the same way as Evie and my dog is doing brilliant on it. He's in great condition and loves his food. He doesn't get any supplements apart from Salmon oil (as he's not too keen on fish) and only gets veggies if I've got scraps from the night before.

They really don't need all the veggies/supplements IMO. I've never seen a wolf in Holland and Barratt buying tubs of Kelp powder
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Interesting. I had never considered feeding a raw diet. Don't know why...

Is it much more expensive? What are the risks of things like salmonella and other raw meat bacteria in their feeding areas, worms etc? I'm sure this is all covered in some other raw feed thread somewhere, so if you want to point me in the right direction I'll have a look...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I've been feeding raw since earlier this year, and have to say my three JSI's are doing brilliantly on it. Also must mention my thanks to Evie who is a mine of useful information...... x0x

Mya and Lennon have an aversion to chicken, in any form, which is a shame. Roxy is fine on anything.

I feed mine:

Beef mince
Lamb mince
Chicken mince (Roxy)
Chicken wings (Roxy)
Lambs liver (small amount)
Heart (small amount)
Breast of lamb - they would happily live on this
Pork chops
Lamb chops
Tinned tuna (not officially raw)
Prize Choice white fish (in the freezer, not tried yet)

I tend to buy the cheapest cuts I can get. Tesco Value range used to be pretty good, but Tesco prices in general have risen alarmingly lately (don't get me started).

Iceland, too, have some good deals.

I'm sure I could feed them much more cheaply than I do, if I used Landywoods or similar and bought in bulk. Unfortunately, I am currently unable to do that.

Good luck
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all your replies - I think I will go down the route of feeding mainly RMBs, meat and offal, some veggies, and maybe a supplement or two e.g salmon oil.

Evie - I think I fall into the "just in case" camp so far as the veggies are concerned. Hopefully someone more experienced will be along can help further with your questions, but if you do a search you will find loads of threads on feeding raw.

Magpye - from what I have read I am not concerned about salmonella and worms, as long as the dog is wormed regularly and you buy from a reputable, inspected source. so far as cost is concerned, I have worked out approximate cost of feeding raw (purchased from Landywoods -supermarkets and butchers will be more expensive) and it works out cheaper than feeding a good quality, additive free kibble. That is for a GSD, but I guess a huskamute would eat similar amounts.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Interesting. I had never considered feeding a raw diet. Don't know why...

Is it much more expensive? What are the risks of things like salmonella and other raw meat bacteria in their feeding areas, worms etc? I'm sure this is all covered in some other raw feed thread somewhere, so if you want to point me in the right direction I'll have a look...
Hey, check out the links in my first post in this thread, particularly this one;
http://www.rawfed.com/myths/
to help answer your questions.

Expense wise, it's working out for me the same as when I had them on Burns. I could do it cheaper if I had a freezer for storage and went to abbitors; or lived in England and could avail of the likes of Landywoods etc.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the links and advice. I'm going to start with meaty bones and raw diet at the weekends as special dinner and see how they get on. Selkie has had a dodgy tummy when trying anything new in the past, so probably best to start slow with her, or as she's 12 keep her on the kibble with raw treats. Kismet I think will love and thrive on a raw diet. I'm willing to give it a go. I'll let you know how we get on.

Be a while before we graduate to the pigs heads though I think
Seppfire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2008, 11:45 AM
We feed raw & kibble here.

The only one who dosen't have raw is Ruby, the 14 year-old. We were finding anything raw made her sick - she had been fed the same way as the others, but she has her meat cooked now
Kia (Rottie) was re-homed with us - she had been on dried all her life & we started her, as all of them, on chicken wings/carcasses/breast of lamb(not too fatty) & she now copes pretty well with most things except pork.

As for pigs heads....got a freezer full.
The Sibes love them & they are easy to deal with once frozen - just need a decent axe
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >