Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chopperheys
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2012, 01:40 AM

Want to start working my Malamutes!!

Hi all. I really want to start working my Malamutes, initially weight pulling and bikejoring, then as money and time allows I'd like to move on to a 3 wheel rig and maybe even a sled for the rare bit of snow we get (UK). What's the best way to get started? I have a pretty good idea on training for weight pulling, by using car tyres to get them used to pulling and then going to some weight pulls and entering the novice (non-competitive) class. If anyone has some tried and tested methods I'd love to know. Bikejoring is were I'm concerned. I have a full rig to run 1 dog at a time, I'm desperate to get out on the bike with them but I've never taught them any commands. Should I just get them running with the bike on my local fields, whilst trying to teach them the commands? Or will I need to teach them the commands before I run them with the bike? Also do you create your own commands or use the more commonly used ones? My Malamutes are both 2 if that helps.

All tried and tested methods, hints and tips welcome.
Sorry for the long post.
Thanks
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 06:39 PM
I do weight pull, racing, trekking, scootering and backpacking with Malamutes.

My girl has titles in backpacking, weight pull and on the rig - I'm only half an hour away - drop me a PM - would be happy to meet up if you'd like, we often do group training or walks.

Where are your Moots from?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Count us in with Keiko too. She's ready for some work.
chopperheys
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I do weight pull, racing, trekking, scootering and backpacking with Malamutes.

My girl has titles in backpacking, weight pull and on the rig - I'm only half an hour away - drop me a PM - would be happy to meet up if you'd like, we often do group training or walks.

Where are your Moots from?
Hi, thanks that would be great. How often and where do you train your Malamutes?

As for equipment that I own, I have a cheap backpack (not sure if it's up to much), a bikejoring convertor, a single ski line and this harness.

My male Mal is from a breeder in Kearsley. One of my bitches is originally from dogs4us but we re-homed her from a family in Bolton. My other bitch is from Leeds, but she is a cross (I think), she definitely isn't full Mal, we got robbed by a dodgy breeder.

I can't pm yet as I'm new to the forum.
chopperheys
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2012, 10:28 PM
@Muddiwarx - Forgot to ask. Do you think it would be suicidal to strap him to my bike without training him commands on a lead first?

Thanks