Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 08:05 PM

Food wastage

Have you ever seriously thought about how much food we all waste?

Tonight I thought I'd do pizza's for dinner, more because I couldn't be bothered cooking a large meal for 5 of us. I went to Asda and bought 6 pizza's, chicken wings, ribs, poppin' chicken and potato wedges. I cooked it all up, and plonked it on the worktops for everyone to help themselves.

What is left would feed a small family for a month Guess what we'll be eating for a while
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Do you think you over-estimated how much food you'd need for 5? I'm having tuna salad and I will eat every last leaf of watercress!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 08:41 PM
As I only buy for me I have very little wastage and what does go over goes into the compost bin.
Becky
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 09:22 PM
I never leave food on my plate - I always go back for seconds, and eat whatever we've cooked lol
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 09:27 PM
I often feel guilty when I look in the fridge and things have gone past their date. There was 6 of us to feed at one time and now only 2, still can't get used to it.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Have you ever seriously thought about how much food we all waste?

Tonight I thought I'd do pizza's for dinner, more because I couldn't be bothered cooking a large meal for 5 of us. I went to Asda and bought 6 pizza's, chicken wings, ribs, poppin' chicken and potato wedges. I cooked it all up, and plonked it on the worktops for everyone to help themselves.

What is left would feed a small family for a month Guess what we'll be eating for a while
But I bet your dogs enjoyed all the left overs.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 09:15 AM
We have very little left over food, don't know whether that is down to estimating well what we will eat, or more likely, that we can eat plenty!

Same as Becky, we have a composter for any leftovers.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Do you think you over-estimated how much food you'd need for 5? I'm having tuna salad and I will eat every last leaf of watercress!
I think so Linda My OH eats like a horse, and Charley's boyfriend was here, and he can eat too. Sadly, OH wasn't that hungry and Dan has a huge mouth ulcer, so only wanted Ice cream I'm still cooking for 6 of us, even though there's only the four of us now. OH said that he's never been fed so well

Originally Posted by Colin View Post
But I bet your dogs enjoyed all the left overs.
I wouldn't dare give my lot the left overs Colin. The cow pats the following morning wouldn't be pleasant
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-02-2008, 01:40 PM
They did a survey a few months ago, 37% of food in the UK gets binned.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 01:47 PM
We are lucky in our area as the council provide us with food bins everything except fish and meat can go in there, and then it is collected once a fortnight. It is just a pilot scheme at the moment but it seems to be working well. So every fortnight we put out a box with papers a box with bottles and the food wastage one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >