Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Oh my goodness.

Went to the bird food bin today and in the bag of bird seed inside the bin are 5 baby mice look recently born.

My fault entirely I left the lid off the bin the other night got distracted with phone calls about mum. Mum mouse must of got in not sure how as she would have to climb up the bin it is one of those mice rat/mouse proof feed bins used for horse feed but get in she did and had her babies.

Gorden has said he will take them over the field and build them a little nest under the hedge.
I reckon mum will desert them if he does that or they may die of cold or the wet or both. We think we will leave them for a few days then move them out. They have to go but I would like them to have a fighting chance of survival.
They may not survive in the bin yet but at least it will be down to nature not me or Gorden interfering with them while only a few hours possibly a day old.

Note to self in future put the lid back on.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Ah how sweet (but inconvienient) yes mum mouse will eat them if you touch them too soon could your hubby make a little bird type house and put tissue in it and put it in the container with them, hopefully mum will put them in there, then in a few days you can move it with the family inside to under the hedgerow???
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I am sorry but I would not be so sentimental about baby mice. I have found a mouse nest with baby mice in a dressing gown pocket, in an oven glove, and at the bottom of my linen basket.

Yesterday I got a summer top sheet out of my linen cupboard and a fairly large chunk of the corner has been nibbled off by mice.

Sorry, but if I find nests with baby mice in the last thing I would do is assist them to survive.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Ah how sweet (but inconvienient) yes mum mouse will eat them if you touch them too soon could your hubby make a little bird type house and put tissue in it and put it in the container with them, hopefully mum will put them in there, then in a few days you can move it with the family inside to under the hedgerow???
Thank you for the idea. We had an old metal tea caddy no longer in use so we have lined it with kitchen roll and popped it in the bag where the babies are. Mum is sleeping under the bag. I would think she is a field mouse we live right on the fields. We will see what happens.