Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:53 AM

Do dogs see "things"

Kaiser has just been laying in his bed, but awake and all of a sudden his hackles went up and he started growling and barking quite growly barks, when I looked there was nothing there, not that I could see anyway, his bed is oposite the door leading in to the garage so he couldn't have been seeing anything from outside. When I told him to stop been silly and that he was losing it he glanced at me but looked back and growled again, i went to stroke him and tell him to stop 'cause it was freaking me out lol, and he did but he keeps looking back at that spot.

I've now gone into a different room because it is creeping me out, but it got me thinking, do you think that dogs can see spirits or things?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Dogs have much better hearing than us, so perhaps he heard something that was out of your range of hearing?
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I would agree but normaly when he hears things he goes to find the noise, not looking in one spot all the time
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm absolutely sure of it, I've always thought this, and because I have to keep a strict eye on my new puppy with her chewing her toys and bones, I'm constantly watching her on and off, whereas an older dog you probably wouldn't do that as much would you, and only the other day, she was lying by the side of me whilst I was on the puter, she stopped and stared up the stairs I looked up the stairs too, coz nobody could have been coming down them, and then her tail started gently slapping on the floor as she continued to stare, and I didn't say or do anything to make her do that myself, so that freaked me out a tad! She then went back to what she was chewing as if whatever it was had "gone" I've seen this soooo many times, but never with any aggression, just the staring and maybe the tilting of the head like they do, and now this tail slapping. Makes you think doesn't it
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I've now gone into a different room because it is creeping me out, but it got me thinking, do you think that dogs can see spirits or things?
I doubt that they have supernatural abilities, so no. IMO.
justjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm absolutely sure of it, I've always thought this, and because I have to keep a strict eye on my new puppy with her chewing her toys and bones, I'm constantly watching her on and off, whereas an older dog you probably wouldn't do that as much would you, and only the other day, she was lying by the side of me whilst I was on the puter, she stopped and stared up the stairs I looked up the stairs too, coz nobody could have been coming down them, and then her tail started gently slapping on the floor as she continued to stare, and I didn't say or do anything to make her do that myself, so that freaked me out a tad! She then went back to what she was chewing as if whatever it was had "gone" I've seen this soooo many times, but never with any aggression, just the staring and maybe the tilting of the head like they do, and now this tail slapping. Makes you think doesn't it
my cats usually do stare and things and when we did guide dog puppy walking the puppies did it sometimes and would like yours wag their tails, I never thought much or it though at the time untill you've mentioned that, but having him been kind of agressive with it freaked me out
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 12:56 PM
One of my dogs is always seeing things...she is the most sensitive one.
My cats are the worst tho and often give me the creeps when i am alone and they are seeing things!!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 12:58 PM
I read that newfs can sense when summit bad is gonna happen,whether it's true or not I'm not sure,xxxxx
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, I don't know if they do or not. I suspect that sometimes they do it just to make us wonder cause they think it's funny.

I used to have a cat Willow (she's at the bridge now), as a kitten one day she was sitting on the back of the couch staring into this one corner of the living room ceiling, after a while I found myself staring into the same corner trying to work out what she was staring at, then my OH was doing it and then the other cat Sully. So for a while all four of us were staring into the corner, neither myself or my OH could work it out..after a minute or so she looked down at us as if to say 'what ARE you doing?' and stalked off.
whistlecraftgsp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 03:06 PM
One of our GSP's, Willow, is really sensitive and picks up on people's mood plus I'm sure other things! When my partner did her Reiki practitioner training Willow could sense the change in her vibration and became really odd around her for ages afterwards. Also, my Mum died suddenly last year and now whenever my Dad comes round she sits and shakes the whole time he's there. She loves him to bits and as we bred her has known him since she was born, she's now 9. She'll still go and sit on his knee. She's fine again once he's left.

Also, the first dog I had as a child, a rescue cross called Bonzo, idolised one of my Aunties who he would go and stay with when we went on holiday. We often used to walk him to the local cemetary to visit my grandparents graves which he was fine with. When my Aunty had died and was buried in this cemetary, Bonzo would refuse to go there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >