Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Elizabethan Collar help

Hi, jess my newfoundland has had surgery yesterday and i am trying to find a way of stopping her getting at the wound, which is inside the back leg.

I have an elizabethan collar, started with normal size and she now has the biggest as every one she has got at her leg, this works great but i have a huge dog wearing an even bigger collar. She hits doors with it, goes out and it is covered in mud, hits us and kids with it and regularly swings round and knocks cups over etc so is a big pain. As i type she has hit over all the water bowls which are in a stand, she catches the collar when she lifts her head up. (because of the size of them they are always drinking).

She will need to keep off her wound for months as this is an ongoing problem and will need something to wear for a long time.

So........ i bought one of these a few months ago
http://shop.pawsitive.co.uk/convales...FQPWXgodxEuZhw

Thought brilliant, she can keep it on all the time, still eat and drink without a problem..........it was crap, she reached her leg no problem and the seam split slightly on day one. So thats in a drawer.

Today i have collected her wearing a muzzle, thought ok we will do that round the house. After the 4th time of her mastering her way out of it, no matter how tight it seemed to be on........ that has now gone in a drawer.

I have thought about getting one of these.......
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...=26&pf_id=5129

as a last resort, so tried ordering a size 4 but i need extension things and delivery is 3 weeks.

Any thoughts anyone!!
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi,

I found those Buster Neck Braces here

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/basket.asp

They do a next day special delivery for £6 or post first class..

Sorry I can't be much more help, hope Jess gets well soon.

Deedee x
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Deedee1321 View Post
Hi,

I found those Buster Neck Braces here

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/basket.asp

They do a next day special delivery for £6 or post first class..

Sorry I can't be much more help, hope Jess gets well soon.

Deedee x

Thanks that was a great help, i looked at websites earlier and the 2 i found that sold this had the extension bits out of stock. I've just done my order with them so hopefully will come soon. Didn't say anything about a longer delivery so hopefully will arrive soon.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Good luck with the neck brace, hopefully it will be more successful than the rest.

But you do need to be prepared to put it on fairly tightly (no more so than a normal collar). The one in the pic looks slightly different to the one I have for Hoki (which you could borrow but it wouldn't fit Jessie without extensions, which I haven't got). Hoki's is wider at the bottom so if its not on tight enough it will slip round and then she can turn her head But for Hoki, it was definitely better than the lampshade which she hated, got too hot in and kept bashing everything around the house
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Sorry Kirstie, no suggestions, just wanted to wish you luck..... sounds like it's not getting any easier, hon x0x
Janet M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:56 PM
When my whippet X had two opertations for cancer this year the collars that the vet put on him were not only to big, but they upset him so much that I had to take it off him. A friend suggested that I put tea tree antiseptic oil aroung his wound, NOT ON HIS WOUND, and as he did not like the smell of it, he left his wound alone. My vet was most impressed. I hope this helps but good luck, will be thinking of you. xx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Janet M View Post
When my whippet X had two opertations for cancer this year the collars that the vet put on him were not only to big, but they upset him so much that I had to take it off him. A friend suggested that I put tea tree antiseptic oil aroung his wound, NOT ON HIS WOUND, and as he did not like the smell of it, he left his wound alone. My vet was most impressed. I hope this helps but good luck, will be thinking of you. xx
I'm sure i have heard that before, not sure if you have mentioned it on another post or someone else. Its a good idea but at the moment i dare not even try it....maybe when i have a month of her not getting at the wound and it have a good chance to heal naturally i may give it a go. Thanks anyway.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Sorry Kirstie, no suggestions, just wanted to wish you luck..... sounds like it's not getting any easier, hon x0x
Thanks vicki, its fine..... i am sort of used to it this has been going on for months. Just trying to sort out an easier option really. She has got a bit shirty with kai tonight, growled when he came to go in the living room like she is king of the castle. Probabley new there was a roast being cooked. She got a right telling off, she tried hard to nick the roast potato's i;ve cooked as well so she is sort of normalish
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Try here.

http://www.greenfingers.com/supersto...dept_id=900026
thanks, i've ordered one now, did try this website earlier think it was out of stock.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >