Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bears Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2007, 01:21 PM

Alternative to buster collar

Hi guys,

My eldest has always had a problem with licking his back paw (since we got him from the rescue, his paws were in a terrible state when we first got him).
He is arthritic and the vet has given him homeopathic stuff to help the stiffness in his back legs but he still licks his back paw (both intermittently, one more so than the other). The vet thinks this is related to his arthritis and he has been wearing a buster collar now for 6 weeks to stop him licking it, however every time we take the buster off he goes back to licking it. I feel really sorry for him having to wear this buster all the time, if we bandage it he manages to get it off during the night. Is there some sort of spray repellent we could use on the bandage which might prevent him from pulling it off? Or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks xxx
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 02:14 PM
There are lots of bitter sprays around. Your vets may even sell one or most pet shops do. I've found their efficacy to depend on how determined the dog is. I used to use it as a deterent to inappropriate chewing with a dog who liked chair legs. I came home and found he searched out the bottle of spray and chewed that instead!!!! So wasnt that effective for me.
Other than that I dont know what else to suggest. maybe some other bright spark will come along and give you an idea tho.
Oh just an after thought. I'm sure he's chewing the bandage off to get at his leg, but just make sure the dressing you use isnt tight because that will encourage him to have a go at it.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 03:05 PM
is this the elizabethan bucket type buster collar you looking for an alternative to?
If so, i would suggest this http://tinyurl.com/3y7dem, with I personally prefer.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Mairi your dog may have initially started paw licking because he had a problem but this could now have become a habit because he found it rewarding or comforting (like a human biting their nails).How old it the dog?

Here is a recent thread on arthritis that may give you some ideas..
..also have you tried a glucosamine supplement for the athritis, it may help .... What type of collar do you have is it a neck brace like this one (you can buy this type from Pet Planet online) they are less restricting than some collars....

I would only put the collar on when the dog is alone or can't be watched, when you are there keep the dog occupied with toys/chews/games, if he paw licks it is best not to scold him for it instead distract him and don't forget to praise him when he is not paw licking but doing other things so he learns which behaviour brings your attention.
Bears Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Yes it's an Elizabethan collar, I just feel it’s so unfair he has to wear it - particularly at night because he can't be comfy in bed I’m sure. He's 12 now, the homeopathic meds seem to be working well (no more stiff legs in the morning), it’s just this licking. I think I will try the repellent spray over a bandage, I don’t think that other collar looks very comfy.
Thanks for the advice :smt052