Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Tug-a-jug

I have seen these mentioned all over the place, but was just curious how good and how long-lasting they are?

Alfie is small and does not rip things to shreds, BUT he likes to either pick things apart (like rope, he pulls individual strings out) or if it is hard plastic will put his whole mouth over and bite down until it cracks..... now seeing a toy made of plastic and rope, you can see my concern! How long lasting is it?

Does anyone feed a full meal out of it? Or just extra treats?

Do they ever have an issue not getting food out? Or getting too much at once?

Thanks
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I'd recommend them! The plastic is practically bullet proof and my akitas big gobs havent damaged it at all, keisha throws it against the wall and its fine, we must have had it a year, the rope is pretty strong but I guess could be picked apart :-S. Mine take ages to get little markies treats out of it, but they manage it eventually
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:23 AM
The tug-a-jug is a great toy. The plastic is indestructable and it's very challenging. Cain loved it.

On the down side, I found the rope went mouldy, then when I washed it, it sort of fell to bits In the end I removed the rope entirely and stuck a couple of tennis balls inside instead.

Great toy, wish the rope was washable rubber though.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Very different experience here and I would NOT recommend the tug a jug for a chewer. Rupert had a sniff of it, realised there were treats in it and proceeded to quickly bite down through the plastic which then splintered and cut his mouth. All in all, our Tug a Jug lasted about 5 minutes.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Our tug-a-jug is still going strong even with 2 adult Boxers for over 18 months!
Max loves it, and would carry it around - however he is a 'thinking' dog and comes up with all sorts of ways to get the treats out... Murphy is so-so; he is only interested when it's easy to get treats out, once he has to think about it, he's not bothered!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks everyone!
Sarah - that is a bit worrying! Maybe you got a faulty one?

I think I may try one for Alfie... I am constantly on the look out for toys that he will be interested in, and can't eat bits of
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 01:58 PM
It's possible it was faulty. Not a product I'll be buying again for him though either way. I've picked up others in shops and the plastic still feels like it would easily splinter under pressure. Wasn't a cheap similar product either, was the proper Tug a Jug.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh I see, that's a shame

I was thinking of buying this one:

Amazon link

He is only JRT ish size
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Brought two of these as was really happy with them, but Raina has figured out she can just chew the rope to get the treats. Then she decided to eat the rubber as well so now i am left with a plastic jug.

Not a bad toy but not Raina proof it seems! Ela and Cassie kept one for a year though without any damage.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Mine have one, can't say they have played with it alot though...but that's my fault as they don't have free access to it, only supervised. Must try it again!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >