View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Agreed----and the people who take the disabled places want shooting IMO.

Many times I have had to park out front fast, get mum a trolley to lean on and then park miles away because some idiot thinks it is all right to park in them.

Anyone who parks in a designated area and doesn't fit the criteria is being anti social and thoughtless.

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
I agree my kids are scouts which means they get to climb trees, light fires and run around in woods. There are risk assessments but its generally a case of, they'll be fine and you know what they are!

However, while I don't see why they have to be specifically close to the shop, those large parent & child spaces are because in order to strap children into the legally required seats you need to have the door fully open ordinary spaces you end up banging the adjacent car.
I disagree - I managed to strap my daughter 25 years ago into our very large Volvo estate car perfectly well without extra wide car spaces. It is all about being respectful of other people's property and taking care.

I'm not being petty, I fail to see why young, or youngish mothers need to have extra wide car parking spaces to manoeuvre their kids in and out of cars. I was an "old" mum with a chronically bad back and dodgy knees, but still managed to do this with not only hubby's car, but my 2 door Ford as well!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Agreed----and the people who take the disabled places want shooting IMO.

Many times I have had to park out front fast, get mum a trolley to lean on and then park miles away because some idiot thinks it is all right to park in them.

Anyone who parks in a designated area and doesn't fit the criteria is being anti social and thoughtless.

rune
Totally agree about disabled spaces. One of my pet hates too - having been temporarily disabled, I had a slight inkling of what it must be like, and it was terrifying.

However, having children is not a disability - cannot see why the need for such patronising, politically-correct special spaces for what is after all a perfectly normal function!
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:39 PM
I've heard it all now. Parent and child parking spaces are all down to political correctness. Gorn mad.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:40 PM
No matter what anyone else thinks if places are made for certain members of the population then IMO that should be respected.

Not respecting rules sends out a message to the rest of society.

If a shop has spaces for brown eyed people that is their perogative and should be respected. Everyone has a choice on where to shop.

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I have every respect in the world for SENSIBLE rules ... such as disabled parking spaces. But special spaces for young mums? No, sorry, call me an old fart, but that is going too far. Having children is a huge honour and a privilege, but it is a perfectly normal biological function. Womankind has managed for decades without special car parking spaces, I just do not consider it necessary now to have them.

As for the analogy of brown eyed people - such a rule should definitely NOT be respected, it is outrageous and complete nonsense ... IMO of course.

I was brought up strictly, by parents who thought that (within reason) children should be seen and not heard. We had to mind our manners in public, woah betide us if we ran shrieking round a shop, or failed to hold a door open for an adult. We had to stand up when adults came into the room when my parents were entertaining, and we were not allowed to speak at the table without being spoken to first. My mother, like myself, is appalled at the concept of Parent & Child parking spaces, and like me, would have refused to use them when she was entitled to as a matter of principle. I cannot think of anything more patronising quite frankly.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Please don't tempt me!

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Sorry, gone off topic as usual!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
There is danger everywhere, for every living animal on the planet. Danger is part and parcel of being an animal, death and injury is all part of life, it appalls and saddens me that so many parents today want to wrap their children up in cotton wool, whilst at the same time taking absolutely no responsibility for their safety when things go wrong.

My pet hate is those dang Parent & Child parking spaces ... I glean a lot of pleasure from parking in them with my 25 year old daughter
And my pet hate is people with no children parking in them. I always report them and have so far had 3 people have parking tickets given to them...which i took great pleasure in.

I have a 5year old that is disabled but not disabled enough to have a blue badge...he needs lifting into the car which means the door needs to be wide open...its almost impossible to do in normal parking spaces.

sorry OT!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
And my pet hate is people with no children parking in them. I always report them and have so far had 3 people have parking tickets given to them...which i took great pleasure in.

I have a 5year old that is disabled but not disabled enough to have a blue badge...he needs lifting into the car which means the door needs to be wide open...its almost impossible to do in normal parking spaces.

sorry OT!
Rubbish!! It is not a criminal offence ... you are telling porkies!!

As for your second paragraph, then clearly you need to have a blue badge and it is an appalling state of affairs that you don't.
Page 2 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »