Our sister sites
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-01-2009, 09:13 PM

Dominance

Hi,

we have two WSD bitches.

We have had Bree since she was a pup, she is nearly 3 yrs old. We adopted Jet from a rescue centre last January, we think she is around 2 yrs old.

Jet has been the dominant dog since the second she arrived. No big fights, just the odd scuffle for two or three days till all was sorted out, Bree just generally accepted Jets dominance.

In the last week i have twice seen Jet trying to confine Bree to and area of our living room and not letting her move to another part of the room. Jet is not barking or growling, just blocking Bree whenever she tries to move away. Bree just sort of looks a bit bewildered by Jets behavior and waits for her to leave her alone after a couple of attempts to get to her bed. Jets hackles are semi-raised.

I have read this situation as Jet reinforcing her dominance over Bree by restricting her movement. Is this correct?

Should we intervene? or just let them sort it out?

Cheers.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Mia did the same thing to start with
Its controlling
you have to ask yourself do you want one dog to tell the other where it can and cant go in the house?
I decided I didnt - Mia gets a time out if she trys to tell Ben where he can go

and TBH it has made things much better round here - she is much more relaxed cos she isnt having to spend her days contolling Ben

Dont think of dom or not - just is it something you want happening - if not train them not to do it
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-01-2009, 10:36 PM
thanks.

sounds like good advice to me.

will try time out if it happens again.

thank you.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Are they both desexed?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 03:16 PM
I agree you don't want this happening as it's unfair.At the end of the day, it's us that decide on house rules and one of mine is for dogs to be generally pleasant to each other, if not I will intervene as sensibly as possible (not over a tiny squabble but if something is "going on" - but it has to be done oh-so-carefully!!!).

I see your girls are WSD, do they both get a chance to fulfil their needs (even with toys, etc?).