Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-07-2008, 10:11 PM

How to stop our dogs chasing our cats?

Hi,

We have two very active collies, always on the go. And they take great pleasure in chasing our three cats at every opportunity they get, be that in the house or in the garden. They do sometimes catch up with the cats and sometimes corner them, at which point they don't know what to do next. They have no intention on harming them at all. If the cat sits still the dogs get bored and leave after prodding them with a paw a couple of times to see if they'll run.

However, i think the cats are now getting a bit disgruntled with this constant chasing and i'd like to try to stop it before either of them get hurt. The cats have two main areas of the house to themselves - our bedroom and the kitchen. Both these rooms are 'protected' with baby gates so the dogs can't get in. In between is the Hall and stair. If we go out the dogs are left in the hall/stair. The cat flap is in the kitchen . So if the cats come in and want to get to the bedroom they need to get passed the dogs. Even when we are in the house the dogs will bolt after the cats whenever they get the chance but will almost always come back when called if caught before the chase gets up to full speed.

I think we have two solutions. Stop the cats from running or stop the dogs from chasing. I think theres more chance of succeeding with the former.

Any ideas/tips on tackling this would be appreciated.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 11:57 PM
I have the opposite problem in my house where the cats chase my collies (i'm not joking)
I had the scenario that I had my cats first and my dogs came into the house as pups. I started from day one that if the pups chased or were too boisterous with the cats to tell the pups NO and distract them with a toy. This was all that was needed in my case (and the odd swipe from the cats) If your collies are adults then i would start with having the dogs on leads in the house, then when the cats come into the room and they dart at them, teach them to leave. Do this consistently and your dogs will soon learn. In the garden again you can use a lead.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:52 AM
I agree with Megan57Collies......we have 2 BC's and 5 cats. Firstly I have never seperated the cats and dogs anyway, my cats rule here and they have to respect that.
Skye our 2 year old has herding instinct and will chase to herd them, she has a firm NO and told 'BED' which is thier quilt, she then has to stay there for 5 mins....this has ceased the behaviour dramatically. Outside she doesn't give chase to stray cats as I say a firm No straight away and she responses everytime...thankfully.
As Megan57Collies say's I'd start with a lead, if they are adults, and train them to leave....but this will be a constant training needed to stop them. Good Luck
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-07-2008, 08:39 AM
one of them is 2 1/2 years old and we have had her form a pup. she had almost gotten out of chasing the cats when we took on the other who was from a rescue centre. She was found straying so don't know her exact age but think she around 1 1/2 years old. She bolts after the cats at every opportunity and the older dog joins in.

will try the leads and see how we get on.

Thanks,
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
one of them is 2 1/2 years old and we have had her form a pup. she had almost gotten out of chasing the cats when we took on the other who was from a rescue centre. She was found straying so don't know her exact age but think she around 1 1/2 years old. She bolts after the cats at every opportunity and the older dog joins in.

will try the leads and see how we get on.

Thanks,
I know what you mean.....when we had Bruce (now coming upton 10 months) he started following Skye, and herding (although he didn't know what he was doing) but by working with Skye on NO or LEAVE, Bruce doesn't do it now, he soon picked up that it was a no no. Work with the youngest, your older one will stop it, as he didn't do it before, he has just picked up a 'bad habit' from the younger one.
As I keep saying 'dogs learn bad habits alot quicker than 'good habits' Best of luck, let us know how you get on