View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 03:00 PM
oh well persevere with him. Leave lots of raw hides and kongs out to divert his attentions!

I will say though that there are crates and there are crates. I got mine second hand at £100, it was £250 new. It is some famous named one, but it is solid. No way a dog would break out of it. It must be about 25kg and I can just lift it in and out of the house myself, it is quite large and cumbersome. Fits in my car too, but i have a dog guard now, giving them more space.
My sister got a crate from argos and although it suits her and her little stafford x, if i sat on it, it would collapse, it's just a lite mesh thing. Two adults could stand on my crate and it wouldn't mind. So that's what i mean by there are crates, and there are crates!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 03:07 PM
I would get child locks for the fridge-freezer and any cupboards he can open.
Never ever leave food lying out, always put it away or carry it with you. Ignore him when he begs or trys to get your attension when you are eating.

Does he have a kong or other similar toys? These might be of use to give when you are eating or just to generally distrat from eating the rest of the house!

How do you feel about giving bones? I find it great to give big bones from the butchers to keep them occupied for ages, perhaps your little terror would prefare chewing on one of those?

It's all about not giving them the oppertunity to get food and lots of nice things to distract from the bad behaviours.
If caught in the act I would give a firm no as well.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 03:29 PM
I agree with everyone who has said don't give him the oppotunity to practise this.

I do wonder - is he actually hungry or is he just having fun?
If he's actually hungry it may warrant veterinary investigation.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 03:47 PM
This raises another point: who is the boss?

Daisy and Poppy were treated like equals: allowed on the sofa, fed scraps from the table, but they were not naughty, I think I was just lucky.

Now with Willow I am being a lot stricter. She is a little tinker and, if she had her way, she would be eating from my plate, sitting next to me and treating me as HER equal.

Someone on here said they allow their dog to sleep on the bed There is no way I would allow this, Willow is not even allowed upstairs.

She is being taught that she has her place in our home and that I am top dog. When we play with her, or cuddle her, we sit on the floor - her level - not on the sofa. She gets no scraps and frankly I have found her less tempted to beg. Even with a curry sitting in front of the fire (very tempting I know to a pup )

House training is another issue, we've not cracked that one yet....

I am no expert, just another dog lover, but I am sure I am doing the right thing.

Famous last words of course as she is only 14 weeks. She has plenty of time to rebel and I have no doubt that I will be moaning again soon
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 05:17 PM
We had a dog gate when Cassie was a put and for the first few months she was in the kitchen behind the gate while we ate. She could still see us and moaned for a while but soon got used to it. When we finished, we opened the gate and let her out. If she had been good, she got a treat. She's 2 now and we haven't had to use the gate for almost a year. She now stays in the room with us while we eat. When we bring food through she'll have a sniff at the plate (from a distance) but always gets told 'down' and then ' you know the rules'. She then will go and lie down at our feet til we finish. She has only ever once managed to get something from a plate but she was quite young at the time. We don't however put temptation in her path and leave food on the coffee table and walk away from it. It worked for us. Everyone here has totally valid points and everyone does differently depending on how they wish to live. Cassie has full run of the house now, a dog flap to the yard, and yes she sleeps with us. She also knows when she's not allowed in the bedroom, we regularly lock her out and she goes to the spare room until we open the door for her. This way she knows it's our decision whether she gets in or not. She has never chewed beyond a very young pup and only minimal damage, she doesn't bark when we go out and leave her and she no longer needs to be separated from us when we eat. It is a long process and she's by no means the perfect dog. She barks the house down when getting ready for walkies, likes to play tug of war with the lead and pulls like a train when she's excited. At the end of the day we reckon we have a good dog whose sometimes a little naughty. Considering what problems some people have, I think we've done ok.
Hopefully you will be too soon. Good luck.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3