View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:14 PM
our old boy... the field spaniel was particulary bad for this... nothing worked apart from making sure everything was out of reach.. if he didn`t give over at meal times he was shut out of the room.. until we'd finished. I have to feed the girls in a different room to him.. as he scoffs all their`s too.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
18 weeks seems a bit early for the teenage stage

At least not the strops and moods i'm getting now
Why did I think he was older? Im getting old, blind & senile, I shall go and find my white stick.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
Just a thought,has he been wormed recently?
Once a month on the 4th The only worms he has in his tummy are the earthworms he keeps digging up from the garden Disgusting little monster
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:20 PM
God he is only 4 months old and he's the same size as my Zuki!! Just occured to me Hes not a dog he's a wooly mamouth, think I was mis sold him
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
Once a month on the 4th The only worms he has in his tummy are the earthworms he keeps digging up from the garden Disgusting little monster
Lol
Don't really know what to suggest then,Meg is the same though both Tyler and Fen are golden with food when we are eating,they go off and lie down but Meg is always on the scrounge.We have started calling her Jaws
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
Lol
Don't really know what to suggest then,Meg is the same though both Tyler and Fen are golden with food when we are eating,they go off and lie down but Meg is always on the scrounge.We have started calling her Jaws
LOL Jaws Thats exactly it!! He looks like Jaws cause he just hovers around and then WHAM hes had your dinner, right from under your nose
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:32 PM
We feed our dogs when we eat, it seems to work, and we only give them treats (table scraps etc) in their food dish after we are done eating. They sometimes lie under the table while we are eating but we don't acknowledge them, and then they end up going away. If you don't look into those sad looking puppy dog eyes that is......LOL
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:32 PM
To me the 'teenage' stage starts at about 16 weeks (4 months) obviously differing between individuals.
This is the time where they don't need to be close to you all the time and are adventurers and finding out what everything is! It is likened to the young child who had held mummy's hand, but now is off running about daft (some people use harnesses for the kids to keep them close).

I would always recommend a crate, even if it is only for a few months. It is primarily for safety, to keep the young dog out of trouble. Another reason, is that many dogs chew, steal and get over it, some however keep this behaviour, it becomes engrained, and then is very difficult to get rid of.
However if you crated the pup every time you couldn't physically be with him or watch him, you don't start this bad behaviour and you are making the right thing easy, and the wrong thing hard. Excerise before going in the crate and the pup should just settle down with a chew. Some people, I have found, have a big aversion to crating, and it is not justified. Fighting with a client recently, she went on four months with the pup chewing the house and then decided to rehome. All this time i was asking her to get a crate. She would rather have given up the dog than buy a blinking crate! In the end however someone showed interest and it scared her, so she did as i asked and hasn't looked back!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Before we start arguing about whether 4 months is too young to be naughty, I have the very recent experience of a certain black lab, (15 weeks) pup biting a sheep that was lying down. From that point on, my who outlook on dogs changed. Not better or worse, I just woke up to what they really are. Little blo*dy hunters!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
To me the 'teenage' stage starts at about 16 weeks (4 months) obviously differing between individuals.
This is the time where they don't need to be close to you all the time and are adventurers and finding out what everything is! It is likened to the young child who had held mummy's hand, but now is off running about daft (some people use harnesses for the kids to keep them close).

I would always recommend a crate, even if it is only for a few months. It is primarily for safety, to keep the young dog out of trouble. Another reason, is that many dogs chew, steal and get over it, some however keep this behaviour, it becomes engrained, and then is very difficult to get rid of.
However if you crated the pup every time you couldn't physically be with him or watch him, you don't start this bad behaviour and you are making the right thing easy, and the wrong thing hard. Excerise before going in the crate and the pup should just settle down with a chew. Some people, I have found, have a big aversion to crating, and it is not justified. Fighting with a client recently, she went on four months with the pup chewing the house and then decided to rehome. All this time i was asking her to get a crate. She would rather have given up the dog than buy a blinking crate! In the end however someone showed interest and it scared her, so she did as i asked and hasn't looked back!
I have actually used a crate unsuccessfully with Zuki, we first got it and used it to put her bed in and every night she slept in there (unless it was raining the noise scared her so she sneeked onto our bed) we went through all the closing the door and she was fine with it, that was until we had to close it so we could move house, one minute she was in it next she was making a beeline for the front door, luckily she was grabbed before she ran out but the crate was in a peices managed to fix it with some speciallised clips from a mechanic (used to hold car engines together) but went out shopping came home to find dog fast asleep on the sofa and crate bent out of all proportion, even the welding was snapped this time Guessing she was fine in the crate when we were about but didn't like it if she couldn't see or hear us. Have since learnt that it is common for Sibes to break out of crates so I will not be going there again I understand fully how crate training can be great and if it had worked then no doubt I would still be using it. They never chew anything when I am out, shock I know but they really are good as gold on that front, its just his greedy little tummy telling him he is hungry all the time and that he has a devine right to my food.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >