Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 12:44 PM

Help What do I do? Puppy helping himself to everything

Baku (18weeks) is driving me up the wall, he snatches food from your plate while you are eating it and its driving me mad, you really do not even see him coming. I had my lunch on the table and the phone rang went and grabbed the phone from the next room and walked back into the dinning room still on the phone to find Baku on the table eating my lunch! Zuki would never even consider doing such a thing, its endless it really is, you may remember my post where he got up on the side and ate raw dumpling mix and a few days after that he opened the fridge and took a micromeal out and demolished that and the other day he helped himself to a porkpie from the fridge and my fridge is a fridge freezer combo with the fridge part on top!! He has already had his lunch and breakfast today and he probably helped himself to Zukis breakfast as well if she didn't finish it, when he ate the dumpling mix and the micromeal his stomach was huge and hard where he had eaten far too much, but if I had given him his own dinner he would have squeezed that in too! He has been wormed once a month since we got him, so I dont think it could be that. He has three meals a day at the moment and what ever else he can get his paws on. Training has been going well but I dont know how to put a stop to this, if anyone has any ideas at all I will be so grateful. I just want to eat my dinner is that too much to ask? He is unashamed about doing it he will do it right in front of you like its a normal thing to do!!
Oh and if I put him outside he scratches the door and howls
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 12:47 PM
It's my Maddy in sibe form

I haven't found a 'cure' yet Zuba, I thought I had THE nortiest puppy in the universe

Just lots of patience, i'm hoping she will calm down as she gets older (now a year old )

She doesn't do the 'plate snatching' now but she's still very naughty if she's left on her own.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Sorry to hear this Zuba, its a pain but you need to stop giving him the opportunity to do this.

We do not leave anything, even for a milli-second, food wise out on worktops/tables. If a puppy gets a reward for jumping up on a worktop/table (in this case the reward being food) he will do it again and again and again.

In your case as Baku has already succeded in being rewarded for jumping up on the table/worktop you need to re-teach her mind the down/off command.

Perhaps purposely put something tasty there, wait for her to jump up and give her the command 'down/off' when she gets down (usually will through the shock of getting caught out) give her something REALLY tasty as a reward for listening to you.

But the only way to fully overcome this is to not have anything available to her, this way she will learn that jumping up on work surfaces etc get her absolutely nothing and she will eventually give up
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Ha Ha -sorry but reminds me of my pup - first week at home she figured out that if the phone rang or someone came to the door that I would put my tray with dinner on, down. I came back twice to her golloping down- sausages once and pasta the second time- just as well it wasnt a vindaloo
Seriously tho from the first day at home - esp as i always eat off a tray on my lap- the first and EVERY time she tried to climb up while i was eating, i pushed her to the floor and said "down". After a couple of times she was ok. Since then- shes now 3- she lays on the floor and pretends to sleep while im eating- as she knows that if shes good she will get a bit of Mommas dinner once im finished
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
It's my Maddy in sibe form

I haven't found a 'cure' yet Zuba, I thought I had THE nortiest puppy in the universe

Just lots of patience, i'm hoping she will calm down as she gets older (now a year old )

She doesn't do the 'plate snatching' now but she's still very naughty if she's left on her own.
Glad I am not alone It doesn't bother me if he chews everything in the house, I just wish he would leave our food alone, for his own safety and to save my hunger I just dont get how I can have two dogs both the same breed but at completely different ends of the scale, if Zuki is about then she guards our food from him, its so funny to see, she will stand by the table and if he so much as sniffs at it she tells him off, shamefully today she was busy playing with her new toy in the bedroom to care about my dinner
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Also forgot to say we growl when Roxy comes anywhere near us whilst we are eating. She goes and lays down in the living room whilst we eat now
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Dont know if you saw Its me or my dog on Tuesday I think it was about this sort of thing happening to a young couple.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Dont know if you saw Its me or my dog on Tuesday I think it was about this sort of thing happening to a young couple.
Good luck Donna, your at the teenage stage, and its probably the worst time.
18 weeks seems a bit early for the teenage stage

At least not the strops and moods i'm getting now
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Good luck Donna, your at the teenage stage, and its probably the worst time.
Didn't see its me or the dog? sounds like I should have watched it though He is now in the garden eating the roof off his kennel honestly I dont starve him although it looks as though I do one of my first posts about him on Dogsey was because I didn't think I was feeding him enough, now I realise he is just a bottomless pitt
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Just a thought,has he been wormed recently?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >