View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 01:02 PM

Dud's problems: fear aggression towards some men and other dogs - what can we do?

OK well the last few walks I have been closely observing our boy - and from what I can gather - his fear is mainly of older men, and any man with glasses. He is petrified of them and gets very nasty. I think it would be easier if he was just cowering and nervous - then I could follow SB's article on training nervous dogs - but his nerves are agressive. He growls and barks at everyone and all dogs. I am getting afraid to take him out as he seems to go for anything and everyone we meet - and we live in a city - so wherever we go there are people. I am really worried about this... how do i stop him attacking people and other dogs? and should I muzzle him?

xx
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 01:19 PM
I don't doubt I'll be contradicted in this, but I'll give you my best shot

Using a muzzle, in itself, isn't such a bad idea, at least while you're solving the problem. But with some dogs it can make them worse as they have no way of defending themselves (nervous aggressive dogs attack as a form of defence).

Is there any way you could take him somewhere where he can just observe people? So he has the safety of distance but can see that not everything is a monster out to get him?

How much d'you know about his background?

Have you got a number of friends or relatives who could practice with him? Lots and lots of practice of him greeting people who understand he's very nervous?

In the meantime I'd practice basic obedience in the house and garden, and work on your pack status. I know a lot of people these days don't agree with pack theory, but for me it's invaluable. While my dogs growl and bark and strange noises etc, they look to me for what to do with a threat - I'm Alpha so it's my responsibility to determine a threat and defend the pack, not theirs. So here, if Satch hears a strange noise he'll growl and then look at me - "what do we do, mum?" - I say "it's ok", he goes back to whatever he was doing without questioning and without deciding to defend anything. If I were you I'd focus on encouraging Dudley to respond well to your commands (e.g. "leave", "enough" etc), to get used to people at a distance and to rely on you to determine any threats.

Hope some of this makes sense and is helpful.

Becs
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
I don't doubt I'll be contradicted in this, but I'll give you my best shot

Using a muzzle, in itself, isn't such a bad idea, at least while you're solving the problem. But with some dogs it can make them worse as they have no way of defending themselves (nervous aggressive dogs attack as a form of defence).
Ah... I thought as much - so probably not a good idea then - I am just terrified he'll hurt a child or something.

Is there any way you could take him somewhere where he can just observe people? So he has the safety of distance but can see that not everything is a monster out to get him?
I will certianly try to find somewhere - for example tomorrow we are heading to a small park about half a mile away at about 6 am - to see if we can avoid people - but as I said before - everyone in swansea seems to have a dog - and every dog seems to lack a lead. I guess it's just walking him at silly hours, in the hopes that we can miss people.

How much d'you know about his background?
Nothing at all. except that he was dumped and possibly hit by a car.

Have you got a number of friends or relatives who could practice with him? Lots and lots of practice of him greeting people who understand he's very nervous?
Unfortunately not - we don't have any relatives nearer than about 300 miles and friends are minimal (I'm a horrible person! ) no - all my mates are scared of dogs of course! typical.

In the meantime I'd practice basic obedience in the house and garden, and work on your pack status. I know a lot of people these days don't agree with pack theory, but for me it's invaluable. While my dogs growl and bark and strange noises etc, they look to me for what to do with a threat - I'm Alpha so it's my responsibility to determine a threat and defend the pack, not theirs. So here, if Satch hears a strange noise he'll growl and then look at me - "what do we do, mum?" - I say "it's ok", he goes back to whatever he was doing without questioning and without deciding to defend anything. If I were you I'd focus on encouraging Dudley to respond well to your commands (e.g. "leave", "enough" etc), to get used to people at a distance and to rely on you to determine any threats.
I agree that this is important - and we are working on it - but it's tough going lol! In the meantime though, while we are training him to see us as boss as it were - how do I ensure that he doesn't frighten peopel in the street? i am scared as someone once told me that if a dog can be seen to even frighten people, it's a cause for it to be destroyed ?

Hope some of this makes sense and is helpful.
Very very helpful indeed! thank you!

xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Zounds I really don't like to comment too much on aggression.. there are different types of aggression and without observing the dog/body language it is difficult to be sure what is motivating it...if one advises wrongly someone could get bitten. I have only had time to read the first post then answer so forgive me if you have added things in your later post..

Based on what you have said in previous posts it would seem Dudley's aggression is most probably due to fear and I guess maybe even ill treatment. The advice given by SB in the article can be applied to fear as well as shyness.

It is very early days, you have had Dudley for less than a week? Also we do not know all the facts about his past....put yourself in Dudley's position, maybe he is not used to a lot of people/been beaten/lived in the country.. he is going to be really scared at finding himself not only in new surroundings but in a town full of alien sights and noised with people he has not yet learnt to trust.

His only protection when confined to a lead is to scare everyone off with his barking and aggressive stance and he may bite in fear.

As I said in a previous post Dudley needs a little time to settle before you asses him properly. Try to see situations through his eyes so that you can anticipate problems before they happen.

I would do everything slowly and at Dudley's pace..start gently by letting him observe people at a distance..do not try to impose a situation on him . Introduce each new situation/experience calmly and if you can one new situation at a time. When you take him out try to go where there are as few people as possible and take toys and treats to divert him from perceived threats

Build up his trust in you by simple training with rewards and lots of praise whenever you can . Always use a cheerful voice when you are out with Dudley, do not let him see you are apprehensive or his fear will be compounded.

If friends come to your house get them to totally ignore Dudley to begin with so he can observe and see they are not a threat..if they wear glasses all the better...no word to him no eye contact.

I am not a fan of muzzles but it is not for me to tell you not to use one. I think they make fearful dogs worse..a fearful dog confined by a lead has already had his escape /flight response curtailed so the dog may become more afraid and aggressive when confined by a muzzle. I prefer instead to try to avoid situations of confrontation until a dog has had time to learn by degrees that there is nothing to fear.

I have successfully retrained a fear aggressive dog when having small children in the house, it was done slowly/at her pace/ as described above.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 02:41 PM
I can only echo what Mini has wrote but it really is important to give Dudley time to settle in his new home and surroundings.

Good Luck
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Thank you both for the very helpful replies! Yes Mini - I am doing all the thing I read in SB's article - and will continue to do so. We are doing our best to find places with few people but living in a city (we're right in the city centre) makes it extremely hard - we have to take him for a walk - as our garden is smaller than a postage samp. I really think perhaps this is not good for him - and he needs a better place. I know it's early days - and there's a lot of work yet to be done with him, but i guess I've had it drummed into me by some people that I am not good enough to own a dog, and that Dudley will suffer if he lives with me. I don't want anyone to get hurt and i don't want Dudley to feel afraid - perhaps I need to find a little farm somewhere where he can run happily, and be taken proper care of.

xx
Meg
Supervisor

20-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
Thank you both for the very helpful replies! Yes Mini - I am doing all the thing I read in SB's article - and will continue to do so. We are doing our best to find places with few people but living in a city (we're right in the city centre) makes it extremely hard - we have to take him for a walk - as our garden is smaller than a postage samp. I really think perhaps this is not good for him - and he needs a better place. I know it's early days - and there's a lot of work yet to be done with him, but i guess I've had it drummed into me by some people that I am not good enough to own a dog, and that Dudley will suffer if he lives with me. I don't want anyone to get hurt and i don't want Dudley to feel afraid - perhaps I need to find a little farm somewhere where he can run happily, and be taken proper care of.

xx
Hi Zounds I don't know who would make you think that you would not be a good owner you sound a thoughtful and caring owner to me.

Just give yourselves time...both you and Dudley that is. The small garden is not the end of the world, a kind and patient owner is a far more important consideration It's a shame it is dark nights and winter because early morning and evening may be a better time to walk Dudley when it is more quiet just for a little while .I know Swansea a little, you have a lovely big park there.

You have lots ot time...go gently...you have the makings of a super dog in Dudley
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Thank you for having confidence in me. We have a lovely big park - in fact we have at least 5 that I can think of, Singleton (the one you're thinking of?), Brynmill, Cwmdonkin, St James and Kilvey - there's also the woods and park up by Clyne, in Killay and loads of beaches... really it's perfect, but they're always full, even at night and at 6 am - and you have to walk through city areas to get to them. I wish I had a car. meh - still - i will make the best of this - I am not going to give up on him yet because someone tells me I'm a crap owner.

xx
Meg
Supervisor

20-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
Thank you for having confidence in me. We have a lovely big park - in fact we have at least 5 that I can think of, Singleton (the one you're thinking of?), Brynmill, Cwmdonkin, St James and Kilvey - there's also the woods and park up by Clyne, in Killay and loads of beaches... really it's perfect, but they're always full, even at night and at 6 am - and you have to walk through city areas to get to them. I wish I had a car. meh - still - i will make the best of this - I am not going to give up on him yet because someone tells me I'm a crap owner.

xx
Yep singleton my son got a place at Swansea uni but went elsewhere The city does not look that big really.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2005, 10:42 PM
lol! I guess it isn't that big - but hen you're from a place like Clonakilty, you really don't 'get' cities! lol poor dud must be very confused from what we can tell he's lived in the country forever.

xx