Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuena
New Member!
Female 

24-04-2016, 12:49 AM

Puppy and Dog Cry When Alone

My husband and I just brought home a 2 month old Australian Shepard name Lana. The problem is we both work 3rd shift. He goes in at 11 pm to 7am Sunday through Thrusday. Then I am on a two day on two day off 12 hour shift rotation with every other weekend off, working 9 hours shifts on Saturday and Sundays. My husband works 10 minutes away in town but I work 35 minutes away. Also my husband only has a 25 minute lunch break.

When we leave for work or need to sleep Lana will be barking and crying. To make it worse we have a 3 year old Husky, Zeus, that also barks and cries because he can not get to her. We have to keep them separated when we are away or sleeping because Zeus gets a little too excited and plays too rough sometimes.

I just tried putting her in the kitchen with a blanket, puppy pee pad, Food, water and toys. She cried and barked for probably 10 minutes before I gave up and laid down on the couch with her so my husband could get a few hours of sleep in. I don't mind doing this but my neighbors are literally 10 feet from us. I don't want Lana and Zeus barking and crying for hours all through the night on the days we are both away at work. I don't want the neighbors calling the police on us either!

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep both dogs calm and happy through the night while we are gone? I know my mother would turn the radio on for our puppies which we will try. Would putting her in a crate make her more comfortable than roaming the whole kitchen? It's only been two days and one of us has been home. Tomorrow night will be her first night alone (besides with Zeus!)
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2016, 07:19 AM
Was your husky noisy before you got her? Maybe if you can take the pup with you and leave her securely in your vehicle. Not ideal if people could break into the vehicle or too hot but there are ways and means around these problems. Mind you I have to ask why did you get another pup? Sometimes heart rules head before making contingency plans.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2016, 07:53 AM
You could try crating them both side by side, so they can see each other but not cause any problems. I'd think being aware of each others presence but separated isn't helping.
GC Reagan
New Member!
Male 

26-04-2016, 11:02 AM
Hi

May be some quality play time with the dogs or walks will help before you leave the house for work. Hoping it will tire them out and get rid of the barking and crying eventually making them more calm when left alone.

Hope this helps