View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2009, 09:00 PM
My two year old (who we got as a 6-week old puppy) was really mouthy and used his teeth a lot. Mostly with him we used the 'yelp and move your hand away' technique (he's the only puppy we'd had at that point and just went on book advice).

Now he is the softest-mouthed dog I know. He'll chew through plastic toys but soft ones he carries like a baby. He has a monkey soft toy with a monkey noise in it and he gets very protective of it if he manages to set the noise off (almost like he thinks it's hurt).

He sometimes sucks my hand or fingers if we are cuddling, or I'm brushing his teeth but he never uses his teeth. He'll help me with clothes if I am having a bad day and no teeth ever appear.

I think it's daft to say the aim is 'no biting at all'. There will always be times they need to use their mouths. The aim is surely to have a soft-mouthed dog that doesn't use its teeth?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
No biting at all is what the service dogs schools require us to teach. They have experience with thousands of puppies and consult with behaviorists. Ian Dunbar has been pushing his flawed technique for a long time. It is what is old advice.
Do you know which behaviourists they consult with, out of interest? as most modern ones will follow Dunbar's advice, certainly on puppy mouthing generally. Indeed, at least one of the UK top assistance dog organisations had a heavy input,control/direction from a behaviourist who was actually trained by Dunbar, Nina Bondarenko

Maybe it's the difference in being across the pond but perhaps the behaviourists who are associated with your service dog schools are a bit old school also? Sorry not meaning to give offence, just wondering on the reasons for the difference in policy...

Wys
x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2