View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-05-2009, 06:39 AM
She normally sleeps in the bedroom with us. It's only since this begun she has been more settled down the stairs - which oddly enough is closer to the smoke alarm.

As far as we are aware she has never even heard the smoke alarm whilst up the stairs, nevermind in the bedroom, which makes it all the more odd that she won't settle.

We'll see how whe goes tonight. I got some herbal calming stuff - can't remember the actual brand - from P@H but i understand that may take a few days to kick in properly.

If we are still having the same problems tonight i will consider getting in touch with a behaviourist.

thanks for your input thus far everyone.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Do let us know how it goes won't you

Wys
x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Our spaniel is exactly the same. We have a rubbishly over sensitive alarm and it goes off even when making toast (that isn't even burnt!!) Woody will push himself into the smallest corner and has even on occasion lept into my arms and pushes himself right in close to me.

He does calm down once it stops though.

One thing we found worked was to not make a fuss, at all. when the smoke alarm goes off usually there is lots of excitement because it's annoying and you have to bat a tea towel to stop it etc etc, so now we do nothing but bat quietly and remain calm. We also just coo in a calm voice, sort of like ''oh dear, silly alarm'' etc.

However, I think that you would definitely be wise to seek professional advice here as it sounds as if the poor baby is worked up and it might be more than just the alarm.

Also, opening a window helps if you can ;o)

Good luck!

Pidge
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-05-2009, 10:02 PM
well things seem to be getting better... pheeeewww....

came home from work to a much happier wee dog.

i was greeted at the door by the two of them which was the best welcome for a few days!

she is no longer looking for hiding places all the time. Her big ears are blocking our view of the the telly again instead of being stuck to the back of her head. She is bringing us bits of rubbish she finds lying around (because she know we really want to play with these!?!?) and she is coming to us to play!

however... she is still very nervous about the bedroom. She has spent almost all her time in the livingroom when we aren't out for a walk so must be feeling a lot more confident in there. I had her in the bedroom for a couple of minutes when i got home and was getting changed but she kept running out every 30 seconds or so before returning. i gave her a couple of treats when she was in the room.

after returning from our last walk i took them upstairs again and played with ball in the bedroom for 5 minutes, closing the door after a couple of minutes. she was fine whilst the ball was in play but as soon as i put it away she wanted out.

i'm guessing she won't settle in the room tonight so i'll be sleeping in the livingroom again. i will keep taking her into the room for short periods tomorrow playing with toys off and on and try to build up a positive assosiation with the room again.

i am apprehensive about bringing in the behaviourist i spoke to as she was very keen that we could switch the alarm on at will with the test button. i personally don't want the thing to sound ever again. I really don't want to put the dog or us through this again just so she can see her reaction when it sounds. If it is going to lead to a long term solution then great but we are only just getting her settled three days later.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
She normally sleeps in the bedroom with us. It's only since this begun she has been more settled down the stairs - which oddly enough is closer to the smoke alarm.

As far as we are aware she has never even heard the smoke alarm whilst up the stairs, nevermind in the bedroom, which makes it all the more odd that she won't settle.

We'll see how whe goes tonight. I got some herbal calming stuff - can't remember the actual brand - from P@H but i understand that may take a few days to kick in properly.

If we are still having the same problems tonight i will consider getting in touch with a behaviourist.

thanks for your input thus far everyone.
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
well things seem to be getting better... pheeeewww....

came home from work to a much happier wee dog.

i was greeted at the door by the two of them which was the best welcome for a few days!

she is no longer looking for hiding places all the time. Her big ears are blocking our view of the the telly again instead of being stuck to the back of her head. She is bringing us bits of rubbish she finds lying around (because she know we really want to play with these!?!?) and she is coming to us to play!

however... she is still very nervous about the bedroom. She has spent almost all her time in the livingroom when we aren't out for a walk so must be feeling a lot more confident in there. I had her in the bedroom for a couple of minutes when i got home and was getting changed but she kept running out every 30 seconds or so before returning. i gave her a couple of treats when she was in the room.

after returning from our last walk i took them upstairs again and played with ball in the bedroom for 5 minutes, closing the door after a couple of minutes. she was fine whilst the ball was in play but as soon as i put it away she wanted out.

i'm guessing she won't settle in the room tonight so i'll be sleeping in the livingroom again. i will keep taking her into the room for short periods tomorrow playing with toys off and on and try to build up a positive assosiation with the room again.

i am apprehensive about bringing in the behaviourist i spoke to as she was very keen that we could switch the alarm on at will with the test button. i personally don't want the thing to sound ever again. I really don't want to put the dog or us through this again just so she can see her reaction when it sounds. If it is going to lead to a long term solution then great but we are only just getting her settled three days later.
Hi Graham do you by any chance have an alarm clock in the bedroom? If so fear of the smoke alarm may have triggered a fear of associated/similar sounds.
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-05-2009, 06:07 AM
i think we hit upon our Eureka! moment last night.

We managed to leave Bree in the livingroom alone all night. The two of us slept in the same bed for the first time since tuesday.

I thought i heard Bree scraping and shuffling about so went to go downstairs but stopped on the landing as i didn't want to just go down everytime she flinches. so i stood there listening and heard a faint single beep. It was the smoke alarm upstairs, above the landing and right outside the bedroom door, going off every minute or so but very quietly. I thought low battery but they are hard wired so checked the circuit breakers. The smoke alarm circuit had tripped allowing the battery on the upstairs - much older - smoke alarm to run flat. The downstairs one is much newer and the battery must last for a wee while longer. So circuit switched back on, beep silenced.

The poor thing has been tortured by the upstairs alarm for days. It was just too quiet for us to hear it.

As soon as Bree heard me moving about this morning she flew up the stairs to greet me but only stayed in the room for a minute or so. But that's a big step forward.

I'm glad we have found a reason. Much easier to fix something when you are aware of the issue.

Yes, we do have an alarm clock - two in fact - will look out for a reaction with that too.

CHeers.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
I've just been looking at some stuff about canine body language. Try googling 'canine calming signals'. Stuff like putting your weight/balance back, yawning, looking away etc... Intriguing! Although our Jake doesn't have any 'issues', he does get excited at times so I'm looking forward to trying a bit of body language to see if it gets him to chill!

I have tried this and it does seem to work.. When anyone is on the green at the back of our bungalow these two go ballistic or if the guys are out cutting the grass etc. I tried this and stood at the door yawing and leaning back...felt quite a fool but it did seem to work Now I am not going to stand by the road leaning back and yawning while the traffic goes past just to appease Poppy....I have limits you know
No seriously it does seem to work though...worth a shot.
Elaine xxxx
Meg
Supervisor

30-05-2009, 08:46 AM
It was the smoke alarm upstairs, above the landing and right outside the bedroom door, going off every minute or so but very quietly. I thought low battery but they are hard wired so checked the circuit breakers. The smoke alarm circuit had tripped allowing the battery on the upstairs - much older - smoke alarm to run flat. The downstairs one is much newer and the battery must last for a wee while longer. So circuit switched back on, beep silenced
Hi Graham I didn't realise you had a smoke alarm upstairs as well it looks as if you may have solved the problem, great news.
ZootHornRollo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-05-2009, 07:09 AM
There were TWO dogs in the bedroom when i woke up this morning and they both hung around until i was ready to come downstairs. No darting in and out the room.

Fantastic!

I'll give it another week or so and then we'll try de-sensitisation.

We are still unsure about the behaviourist. At £95 for the first session, i would gladly pay if i thought we would get set on the right course but we are fearful she will want to trigger the alarm to see the reaction then we'll end up back at square one.

anyone recommend a behaviourist in the east lothian area?
Meg
Supervisor

31-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi Graham have you looked on this list of APBC Behaviourists?

http://www.apbc.org.uk/members.php

You will need a referral from your vet, if you have pet insurance you may be covered for this.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >