Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do You bother with Booster Vacinnations
I only get the puppy ones done 11 20.00%
Never 5 9.09%
Every few years 13 23.64%
Always 26 47.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Routine Booster Vaccinations?

My Dog is supposed to be having his annual vaccination at the vets tomorrow. However I've read several articles on how we are vaccinating too much and a load of dogs are getting ill because there immune systems turn on themselves and can even kill them! I have cancelled his appointment to investigate further as I'm sure the vaccine he had last year will do him a couple of years?

My Husband says there is a titre test they can do on their blood to see if your dog already has enough immunisation in it's blood to fight infections such as parvo. My dog seemed really ill after his booster last year and I have a gut feeling he does not need any more chemicals in his system for at least another few years.

Do you get your dogs done every year?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Well I've only got a puppy so cant REALLY vote, however I get my cat done yearly, so i've said yearly.

After reading about the titre thing posted yesterday by madmare, I think I will get Roxy tested before every vaccination due date after her first one.
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Bob gets his every year
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 04:23 PM
did you read this ...
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36998
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Had the same arguement with my vet only this morning, Lily was a couple of months late for her first booster, vet wanted to do the whole course again, I said no booster only, then I will be back yearly for Lepto and every 3 years for full booster.

Vet wasn't happy but I won, you need to have the puppy course done and first booster a year later, then every 3 years there after......I think that's right........with Lepto boosters every year.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl
Well I've only got a puppy so cant REALLY vote...

...After reading about the titre thing posted yesterday by madmare, I think I will get Roxy tested before every vaccination due date after her first one.
Me too to all of that, so I'm not voting on this one

Interestingly, my mum's vet has told her that they now recommend boosters once every three years as standard now. They claim that's what the vaccine manufacturers (Nobivac in this case) are starting to lean to as well. Food for thought...
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 04:50 PM
We have never ever boostered our dogs and except for my German Shepherd that got Anal furuncleosis, they have all lived long and healthy lives. My sister also never vaccinates her dogs after the initial puppy ones and they also lived to good ages and are never at the vet.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Every year on the dot!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 05:50 PM
I researched all this too through the help of Christine on here, and my older dog who is 10 now has not been done this year and won't be again, as I feel she has enough immunisation already in her body, and although Georgie is only 6, I did opt for not getting him done with Parvo and Kennel Cough this year, which my vet would have done until the 3rd year when he will want to hit him with the whole lot again. I will cross that bridge when I come to it though

When I chatted to my vet about my reasons for not having his booster done this year, he did actually agree with me that there would only be a very, very slim chance that he would catch Lepto anyway, or kennel cough come to that, and because there are so many different strains of it they can't possibly vaccinate against each one, bit like our flu jab in humans. We live out in the country too where there are rats about, but I'm willing to take that risk rather than the risk of the vaccine - I've read too much!

By the way, that's a very good idea putting this up as a poll coz I don't think we've ever had a poll on this one, and I for one am very interested to see the results.Thanks!
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
did you read this ...
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36998
No I hadn't seen that Inca; thanks for the link and well done you!

What a minefield this all is for the layperson My dog had all his puppy jabs and has had two boosters so far each year on the dot since then. Last year I already thoiught he didn't need a jab (just a gut feeling) the vet assured me he did so I went ahead with it. He seemed so unwell for a few days afterwards that I vowed not next year.

Now I'm in a pickle; if we don't get it done and something happened I would never forgive myself. I will look into depth on that thread you gave me Inca. I am definatley not going tomorrow I may well look into a titre test. My dog is a very hardy little patterdale terrier; never ill and I want to keep him that way.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »