Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Raw Bones from butcher

Have been giving Maggie marrow bones once or twice a week, depending on when the butcher has any, for the last couple of weeks. She gnaws on it for about 2 or 3 hours and then zonks out which is great, it clearly makes her work hard!

What other bones do you ask your butcher for that are like a marrow bone, ie she will gnaw on it rather than eat the whole thing?

Thank you!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Any none weight bearing bones. Leg bones from lambs sometimes splinter. Rio and Dan eat them, but they are very slow eaters. I couldn't give them to Loki because he tried to eat the pieces without chewing them first. Lamb shoulder bones are good, and lamb ribs and spine. Bird carcasses are also good, but she'll soon master these and destroy them in a matter of minutes!

If you have a strong stomach, you could ask for a pig's head.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Aah, ok, so non weight bearing bones and no lambs legs, think I can remember that! Thanks!
As for the pig's head.................. no way jose!!!!!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Ben Loooove Ox tail and lamb neck too.
I feed the knuckle bones of lamb but I take them off them when the knuckle bit is gone cos the middle bit is a little hard for them
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Mine love lamb and pork shoulder blades and rib bones (half and whole cages)pigs heads e.t.c they lose interest in beef bones very quickly for some reason.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I have a lovely bag of bones for Tilly - but how stoopid of me I don't even know what they are

As for pigs head - urggg memories of my brother taking a dressed pigs head home from a buffet & his staffie Cleo playing with it in the garden. She was scared of it at first!!
I called it her twin
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. Shall be speaking to my butcher nicely and see what he can give me! Cheers.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
We get free bags of pigs tails / pigs ears / trotters / lamb ribs / chicken carcases / few other bits and pieces form a local organic farm which is really good just put the lot in the freezer and take bits out to defrost when wanted.