Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Collars with a visual warning

My Border is a bit of a ****** to be honest and does not like strangers touching him without permission, i have him under control and on a lead but i have been caught out a few times when people have just stooped to say hello without warning and he has acted aggressively, i have looked but i cannot find a collar with a worded warning such as 'no touching' or something similar, he wears a Julius k9 harness so maybe a velcro patch with a warning on it, somewhere must sell these.
Thank you.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2011, 09:27 AM
i have seen'' in training '' ones ..
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 09:33 AM
TBH I think you`d be on dodgy ground if you put a warning collar on your dog. It would prove you knew your dog was likely to bite and if anything happened you would have no defence.
Personally, I`d muzzle the dog in situations where he might get too close to people, and work on a `behind sit` for those times when you stop to chat.
And don`t be shy to shout No! when you see the numpty hand approach your dog.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 09:37 AM
You could put a safety (reflective) coat on him, saying something like 'In training'

Teaching him to wear a muzzle will prevent any accidents from happening. (I would go for the basket type)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HI-VIZ-TRAIN.../dp/B004XWAZDS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...supplies&img=1
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 09:50 AM
I agree, a muzzle is normally deterrant enough! It's a hard situation because a lot of people seem to think all dogs should tolerate anyone touching them at any time.
If a muzzle isn't an option for you, you could go for the 'in training' accessories and that could help. I'd agree with steering clear of ones which may seem to say he's aggressive.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
TBH I think you`d be on dodgy ground if you put a warning collar on your dog. It would prove you knew your dog was likely to bite and if anything happened you would have no defence.
Personally, I`d muzzle the dog in situations where he might get too close to people, and work on a `behind sit` for those times when you stop to chat.
And don`t be shy to shout No! when you see the numpty hand approach your dog.
I agree with this.

Muzzling is the best way to go for a people aggressive dog. Putting any 'warning' signs on the dog is surely accepting liability if he does bite. Also, knowing what people are like, your dog would probably attract more attention from people asking why the dog can't be touched if wearing a sign.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I'd go with a muzzle over a warning on a collar or harness any day. People ignore warning signs, a sign on a collar or harness can be obscured by hair, dirt or just too small to read until you're close enough to be bitten. And chances are you'd get even more people trying to touch so that they can read what the sign says. Even a muzzle doesn't stop everyone but at least he can't bite if muzzled.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I would go for a muzzle, even if you just clip it on a belt hook to carry with you as a visual deterrent, this is what I used to do (left the muzzle off most of the time as our walks were very quiet generally)
Maybe a "Dog in training, please do not pet" label would work though - this is similar to guide dog rules so people may respect the request without you insinuating you have an aggressive dog. You could probably find someone crafty who could make a velcro patch for you, it'd just need some fabric, probably some interlining to make it a little stiffer, and some of that transfer paper you print onto then iron onto fabric to put the text on. Add some velcro on the back and voila.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Yo can get these from http://www.thankfulpaws.com/deaf-bli....htm#shyCollar

I've bought some 'blind dog' stuff from here, they are in America but will deliver to the UK.

I do find though that they seem to attract attention as people come over to see what it says, and then take no bl**dy notice anyway!!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 11:58 AM
How about a bandana? http://www.bonniedogs.co.uk/design-y...-bandanas-p405 Been thinking of getting one for piglet as she doesnt like people touching her, and being a basset, people seem to home in and try to stroke without asking. I was going to have the words "please dont stroke me".
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >