Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Aww thats so sweet
Ben, he loves everyone he met when he was a puppy - to a pathetic puppy crying srawling on the floor degree
He also likes people who look a bit like me - and (for some reason) smelly old men!!!
anyone else he is polite but tends to ignore, he ducks under petting hands
Maybe he thinks they look like you I joke!!! It's just you put them next to each other please don't be offended - it was intended to make you laugh
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Shamus makes friends with some people and when he sees them again he runs in circles round them screaming with excitement.
He only approaches people if they invite him to thankfully. But if they make the mistake of giving him a good stroke he leans against their legs determinedly to prevent them from moving. He knocked a workman over doing that once. All his mates laughed.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Ah Dexter sounds lovely!

Parker is actually quite shy with most strangers but when I changed my hours recently I was starting work later which meant we went for our morning walk round the field later.
I found out something new about Parker which is how much he loves children! The time we were walking meant that the children were also being walked to school and they used the field as a cut-through. Parker would watch them approach and then position himself near the path so they could come up and fuss him if they so wished! He had a lady's 4 children all patting him one morning and then he did a few tricks for them.

I look on it as being positive about dogs as there are so many bad stories about dogs and children. Parker is very good -he doesn't go up to the children but just stands nearby where they are going to come past. He is very clever sometimes! (normally I think of him as "nice but dim")

I have changed my hours back to starting early again so he doesn't see his new friends now
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
You have literally described my dog.

Everything you say, Dexter does - right down to the sitting with his ears flat and his wiggling!

And the jumping up too - and yes, like you I've had to work hard to try and prevent this but it seems a real Lab trait since virtually every Lab I meet does it
Yes, it's a very endearing trait of Labs and I've had my fair share of Labs jumping up too. But it can be a nuisance to other people, especially if they have a phobia, aren't too keen on dogs, or the dog is muddy and they have nice clothes on, and it can be a nightmare to stop.

The problem is when Storm jumps up, most people are friendly and give him lots of fuss, which just reinforces in his mind that it's a good way to greet people.
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
But if they make the mistake of giving him a good stroke he leans against their legs determinedly to prevent them from moving. He knocked a workman over doing that once. All his mates laughed.
Chester does this exact thing, he's a proper leaner and will take any opportunity to make friends! Don't think that he's ever knocked any non family member down though, I wouldn't put money on it though, just not when I've been around! He would ideally like to befriend everyone he comes into any kind of contact with, his current fav person is our postman as he's delivered several packages to us recently and make the mistake of scratching Chester's ears the first time, he's now considered a friend for life I think, including the need to cuddle him on sight!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Cooper loves everyone he meets and sees no reason why people shouldn't want to say hello to him, because of course he is amazing!
I have to drag him away from people on the lead and the worst is when you are passing in a narrow place and I have to pin him down so he doesn't jump on them as they pass. If we see anyone out on a walk he's off after them.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2