View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Excessive drooling after eating lots of snow earlier ... ?

Hi all,

My black lab Rocky usually drools a bit when he's expecting dinner, etc, but this evening he is drooling loads even when there's no prospect of food. We were out a long time in the snow earlier, and he ate loads of it (mostly in the form of flying snowballs) and had a great time . Could this be why my floor is soaking wet ?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 07:52 PM
when you say lots, is that like 3 snow balls or 30? does his tummy look big or bloated?

is he behaving normaly or does he seem ill?
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:49 PM
He probably ate a dozen or so snowballs and lapped up some bits from the ground. He seems fine otherwise, just come back from his short evening walk and ate his (small) supper happily. Nothing unusual that I can see/feel other than the dribbling.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Hehe had to be a Labrador! To be honest snow is simply frozen water, so hopefully it wont give him any lasting effects as its not like eating ice-cream or anything. (Though in your labs greedy eyes it may have been ) He might just be feeling a little off, perhaps because the snow is so cold. Best thing is make sure the house is at a steady temperature, and give him a small bowl of food or perhaps in two portions to ensure he does not over endulge himself if he is feeling a little icky.

It's likely going to be the sensation of the frozen ice coming back to him. Silly Lab :-0)
I'm pretty sure that huskies in the artics actually consume snow in this way to provide them moisture whilst running. - Don't quote me, but i'm sure I have read that somewhere.
Perhaps its a wolfy instinct and he is not just a silly happy labbie?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:59 PM
he may have an upset tummy, he may have a bit of a chill in the tummy, I wouldnt allow him to eat so much snow again,

if the drooling continues for to long I would give the vet a quick call for advice.
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I think he's just a silly happy lab ! He knows he's allowed to eat anything that's fallen onto the floor (but he won't touch a ham sandwich if I leave it on the coffee table ). I reckon he just thought Christmas had come early and it was ice-cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I'll keep an eye on him this evening and try to restrict his doggie ice-cream intake tomorrow. He'll have to get used to it, as we get plenty of the white stuff here in the hills outside Edinburgh.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:42 PM
hi
sounds like he had fun!
is he still drooling excessively? i do not want to alarm you,but you may want to take into consideration 'bloat' as this can be a symptom of a upset digestive system,you say he had a good lark around,swallowed snowballs,then came home and also fed him?
if he was mine and he is still drooling i would call a vet,may be nothing but id rather be on the safe side
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone.

The drooling settled down during the evening, and he seems perfectly fine. I am aware of the dreaded bloat (but thanks for reminding me), and he didn't have any of the symptoms except the drooling.

This morning he is as right as rain, we did the school run on foot (around 2 miles total) crunching through the snow and he didn't bother trying to eat any. The kids are under strict instructions not to throw snowballs for him so I think I'll get them busy building a snow-dog in the garden this afternoon