Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Doggy Holiday Necessities

Right, the dogs are going on their first ever holiday next month and i'm trying to think of everything I need to take. We are going to North Wales and I plan on doing alot of walking in the hills.

Beds are the biggest problem. My lot arent allowed on the furniture so they need to have a bed each but I cant take their regular beds as space will be very limited in the car (no boot space as there are 3 dogs in it!) Can anybody recommend a good travel bed or something comfortable for them that will take up very little space? (2 large dogs and a medium).

So far my list goes like this:
*Bedding
*Bowls
*Kibble (boo! A whole week of large stinky poos to pick up and smelly wind!)
*Towels
*Headcollar, training lead and extending lead
*Toys
*First Aid kit

Anything else I need?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Dogs

Have you tried some fabric beds - just like vet bed or something? You can put this in the boot with them that way as they can lay on them?

Or something like this:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/3-pea...mattress-30822

But sounds like you've got everything thats needed.. I can't think what else I would take - other than treats, spare leads/collars ..
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Will you need something like a tie out stake for the place you are going to, or might be good to free up a hand if you are going to be stopping for picnics etc

We are going on our first holiday taking our dogs in october, the one we have just had they went to boarder, so will be watching for some tips!

Also grooming brushes etc.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Poo bags for the stinky poos!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Why just just take a signle duvet, easily washed an folded up when doesn't need to be used?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
Will you need something like a tie out stake for the place you are going to, or might be good to free up a hand if you are going to be stopping for picnics etc

We are going on our first holiday taking our dogs in october, the one we have just had they went to boarder, so will be watching for some tips!

Also grooming brushes etc.
Excellent, added to the list! The property has a secure garden, that was something I required.

Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Poo bags for the stinky poos!
Always a stockpile in the car, along with a couple of spare whistles.

Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
Why just just take a signle duvet, easily washed an folded up when doesn't need to be used?
They ideally need separate beds as Flynn will hog a single duvet and although Jessie might sneak on, poor Jed doesnt get a look in! We went on a 3 day break to Suffolk last year and tried the duvet idea.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Toby usually travels sitting on his bed so it doesn't take up any extra room. He has a folded up duvet in a cover.

What about an airbed? that wouldn't take up much room. Otherwise I'd just pack lots of blankets. You can wrap them around things and fit them in all the little gaps, under seats etc.

Do they have coats?

An airtight container for when you're not near a poo bin!

Air freshener!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Bottles of your home water as some dogs can be adversely affected by a different type of water-we have really hard water here(the hardest in the UK)so I always take bottles for the dogs
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I take duvets or blankets because they can go on the car seats.
Some black bags are always useful, and a torch.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
Toby usually travels sitting on his bed so it doesn't take up any extra room. He has a folded up duvet in a cover.

What about an airbed? that wouldn't take up much room. Otherwise I'd just pack lots of blankets. You can wrap them around things and fit them in all the little gaps, under seats etc.

Do they have coats?

An airtight container for when you're not near a poo bin!

Air freshener!
They have one bed which will fit into the boot nicely and they can lie on whilst travelling so i'm taking that. Actually, I have a crate mattress which I can also take, then I might buy one of those roll up beds.

I have a MukSak which is a poo container but TBH, I think i'll adopt the stick and flick approach! I'm like Smokeybear, I hate carrying stuff unless I absolutely have to.

They do have coats but their own are thick enough and my lot spend most of their time crashing through undergrowth so I rarely bother with a coat!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >