View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:59 AM
The Canadian government should be ashamed this is the largest slaughter of marine mammals on the planet!!!
Many of the babies are not battered to death but still concious while they are skinned alive. This from a supposedly "civilised" society, they are barbaric.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I didnt ask you to, which was why I asked if YOU had any links and not could you ask him.

From the links (thank you )
However, a lack of food and habitat, growing oceanic pollution, and human disturbance threaten this species more than any illegal hunting.

So human disturbance and lack of food (i,e hunting seals, which is their food) is not threatening them then ??

As I thought, human hunting of this species is not prevelant.

Also:
Threats to the Species
Although the global population of killer whales is not endangered,
then goes onto blame heavy sea traffic and Whale watching for the most part. This species is protected under CITES.
Diet
Orcas are top predators in the ocean. Their food preferences vary according to their locality. Prey includes marine mammals (other whales, seals, sea-lions, walruses),

Yes absolutely, but because the term "Whales" were used and not a specific species, naturally the food for most Whale species is plankton and other micro organisms.

It wasn't a general term, that was the Diet given on the Orca page

Sperm Whales pricipally eat Squid, Minky Whales (most hunted) eat krill, small fish etc.. and most of the other species the same, so none of these are a threat to the Harp Seal, which was my point, as Stevie blamed humans for hunting Whales for a large Seal population and if we stopped hunting them would reduce the Seal numbers, clearly this is incorrect as the majority, in fact 99% of Whale species do NOT hunt Seal.
You said you couldnt find anything, which is strange as a two minute google brought up pages and pages of very good sites regarding Orca hunting, so it is prevalent, and this morning I had another quick look.

We are removing Orcas' food (which is largely seal) and destroying their habitat, and if we didn't do that, they would have enough seals to harvest themselves, therefore we wouldnt have to do it for them, by culling the seals simple.

It's just another excuse for man to hunt something and say 'well, while we are here, we may as well use the fure too'. Rubbish.

There is enought proof out there, if you want to look for it
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
You said you couldnt find anything, which is strange as a two minute google brought up pages and pages of very good sites regarding Orca hunting, so it is prevalent, and this morning I had another quick look.

We are removing Orcas' food (which is largely seal) and destroying their habitat, and if we didn't do that, they would have enough seals to harvest themselves, therefore we wouldnt have to do it for them, by culling the seals simple.

It's just another excuse for man to hunt something and say 'well, while we are here, we may as well use the fure too'. Rubbish.

There is enought proof out there, if you want to look for it
We are culling one species of Seal Malady, the Harp Seal, this is just one of the types of Seal that the Orca hunts and by no means the most typical, so I cant see as it makes much difference at all. Orcas will eat anything that they find, all those things you mentioned, they dont concentrate on one species, Id agree with you totally if they did.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 01:41 PM
My point was simply that we are the cause of the problems, not them.

As I said before, the world was NOT overrun with seals before we started culling, so what is the problem ? why do we feel the need to intervene ? We don't, it's greed for the fur and oils, and they just say the population is a problem as an excuse !
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
My point was simply that we are the cause of the problems, not them.

As I said before, the world was NOT overrun with seals before we started culling, so what is the problem ? why do we feel the need to intervene ? We don't, it's greed for the fur and oils, and they just say the population is a problem as an excuse !
Well I cant agree that the population wouldnt be far greater without culling, but I certainly do agree with you the people responsible may hide behind several other reasons for the cull, when first and foremost they want the fur.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Putting my head on the chopping block....I think 'cults' should be banned full stop. I know that there are those that disagree, and are probably more hard hearted than me, but I AM A BELIEVER in nature, and nature has a habit of taking care of it's own. Sorry I am against all that and blood sports.
I agree, we as humans can breed, no-one comes along and culls us, but we as humans feel it necessary to kill in such barbaric ways. For the sake of what we cull, saves food for us to eat. Try educating those that become breeding machines both here and elsewhere in the world(humans). Many many years ago when I was in my 'hay-day' I was a member of many 'save the animals' societies, and I have been beaten trying to stop hunts of all kinds, but I'd do it over and over agin, to stop this. To batter, or rip something apart is not nice to watch, and I've seen it happen first hand. The screams are unbearable. If however, humans culled other humans, they would be branded as EVIL. These are warm bloodied living creatures, with hearts that pump blood through thier veins, and whatever the animals, even those that are poached for thier ivory, skins, hands,feet etc., they have mothers that suffer as we would.
I agree. Seals are eaten by other preditors, and in time nature would sort this out, plus baby seals don't all survive, nature again
[QUOTE=youngstevie;1324666]
But what you are NOT thinking about is the predators numbers have fallen to within extintion levels! Seal numbers are continuing to rise!! nature doesnt "sort itself out" it gets out of control if not managed.[/QUOT

Whilst I agree with what you say, my point is why have they. Again, alot of that will be down to humansthe killings of whales and the poisons (oil spills) etc., we are detroying this world, not just the beautiful things in it. Battering something to death is not my idea of exceptable. We don't cull the adult females before they mate we go and cull helpless babies. The question asked was do we agree, I don't, but I am just 'little old me' if this has to be done do it humanely. Ask yourself this, if someone 'battered' your dogs to death, would you not be sicken. When they have finished the whole ice is completely blood stained. What I would love is people to go and see with thier own eye's (I did) and it's a vision that will never leave you I promise.
And if we didn't kill whales etc., we would have some natural preditors. I agree they are killed for thier fur, so some person can walk around in a posh coat made of seal, all I'm saying is that we need to go back to being more self sufficent, in some rich countries, food is rotting because they don't distribute. Anyone who thinks Oh! the dolphin is not in that tin of tuna, are fooling themselves if they really believe that they are released, they may not be in that tin, but they end up in someone's dinner plate, same as culled seals end up on someones back. To blame breeding is (in my opinion) a cop out, cull the adults then (humanely) not the young. We are preditors, and sometimes not in the right way.
As with all of us, we were asked our opinion, and those are mine. I don't agree. I and I say 'I' feel we could handle things differently. I am not debating I am simply against it, as I am all other Blood sport, poaching and killings.
Sorry if you read my post ...I don't recall saying I blame humans for killing whales......for the large increase in seal???? you brought that up about natural preditors becoming less, all I said was that humans hunt whales. And if left alone nature in time would sort it out. I have not said anything about it being the reason for an increase. I have made no mention as to why the seal population has increase.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 10:58 PM
i think its disgusting
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Quote bordeawn in earlier post....as Stevie blamed humans killing whales for a large seal population.....????

Putting my head on the chopping block....I think 'cults' should be banned full stop. I know that there are those that disagree, and are probably more hard hearted than me, but I AM A BELIEVER in nature, and nature has a habit of taking care of it's own. Sorry I am against all that and blood sports.
I agree, we as humans can breed, no-one comes along and culls us, but we as humans feel it necessary to kill in such barbaric ways. For the sake of what we cull, saves food for us to eat. Try educating those that become breeding machines both here and elsewhere in the world(humans). Many many years ago when I was in my 'hay-day' I was a member of many 'save the animals' societies, and I have been beaten trying to stop hunts of all kinds, but I'd do it over and over agin, to stop this. To batter, or rip something apart is not nice to watch, and I've seen it happen first hand. The screams are unbearable. If however, humans culled other humans, they would be branded as EVIL. These are warm bloodied living creatures, with hearts that pump blood through thier veins, and whatever the animals, even those that are poached for thier ivory, skins, hands,feet etc., they have mothers that suffer as we would.
I agree. Seals are eaten by other preditors, and in time nature would sort this out, plus baby seals don't all survive, nature again
[QUOTE=youngstevie;1324666]
But what you are NOT thinking about is the predators numbers have fallen to within extintion levels! Seal numbers are continuing to rise!! nature doesnt "sort itself out" it gets out of control if not managed.[/QUOT

Whilst I agree with what you say, my point is why have they. Again, alot of that will be down to humansthe killings of whales and the poisons (oil spills) etc., we are detroying this world, not just the beautiful things in it. Battering something to death is not my idea of exceptable. We don't cull the adult females before they mate we go and cull helpless babies. The question asked was do we agree, I don't, but I am just 'little old me' if this has to be done do it humanely. Ask yourself this, if someone 'battered' your dogs to death, would you not be sicken. When they have finished the whole ice is completely blood stained. What I would love is people to go and see with thier own eye's (I did) and it's a vision that will never leave you I promise.
And if we didn't kill whales etc., we would have some natural preditors. I agree they are killed for thier fur, so some person can walk around in a posh coat made of seal, all I'm saying is that we need to go back to being more self sufficent, in some rich countries, food is rotting because they don't distribute. Anyone who thinks Oh! the dolphin is not in that tin of tuna, are fooling themselves if they really believe that they are released, they may not be in that tin, but they end up in someone's dinner plate, same as culled seals end up on someones back. To blame breeding is (in my opinion) a cop out, cull the adults then (humanely) not the young. We are preditors, and sometimes not in the right way.
As with all of us, we were asked our opinion, and those are mine. I don't agree. I and I say 'I' feel we could handle things differently. I am not debating I am simply against it, as I am all other Blood sport, poaching and killings.
Sorry if you read my post ...I don't recall saying I blame humans for killing whales......for the large increase in seal???? You yourself brought that up, I only answered what I believe to be true, if humans didn't hunt whales then nature would take care of it. I am trying to make a point that humans interfer with the balance of things. As to the increase that could be a number of things, for instance if man kills off one species I(not just whales) 'lets say' that eats cod, then that leaves more cod for another species. I was as I said trying to make the point that we have to watch we don't tip the balance of nature.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I think it's awful.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I found this intersting. I went onto Ask.com and asked the question are Harp seals on the decline I found this information, which ISN'T saying they are but suggests that if they are killed every year there is a threat

Global Warming and the Seal 'Hunt' Lead to Population Decline -- ...

Harpseals.org has lots of seal related products available Plus a great variety ... LINK A HARPSEALS.ORG BANNER FROM YOUR WEBSITE!
http://www.harpseals.org/hunt/press/...ondecline.html

Read it it was interesting what the scientists are warning.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >