Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2013, 06:34 AM

Keeping a crate cool

Pippa still sleeps in her crate at night, which we don't want to change as yet. What's the best way to make sure she is comfortable and safe in it during this heatwave? Is there particular bedding that would be best? Part of me wants to strip it down so she isn't bothered by too many blankets etc but the other part then worries it'll be hard and uncomfortable. She also has a blanket over her crate to make it more den-like but would this keep it cooler or warmer? Also, what are people's views on leaving water in the crate overnight?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2013, 06:46 AM
I would just put a piece of vetbed in with perhaps one small blanket - presumably she has room to get away from the bedding if she wants to? I wouldn't cover it over and I would definitely put water in.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Mine are still sleeping on their normal bedding and the crates are still covered. I wouldn't want to give up my mattress so wouldn't expect the dogs to. I just have a fan going to keep the air circulating. If I thought they were too hot I'd wrap an ice pack and tuck it under their bedding. Or you can freeze a bottle of water and do the same thing.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Interestingly my friend who Roodee lives with for part of the week took out all his bedding from his crate as he rolls it up & uses it as a pillow 99% of the time. He refuses to go into his crate until she had put some bedding back that he immediately rucked up & used a pillow !!! When he is here he likes to sleep on a wooden window ledge !

Whilst it has been so warm at night I have the kitchen door open 24/7 & a couple of mine chose to stay outside all night, popping in occassionally to check I am still here !!

The others just either sleep in their open crates or wherever they feel comfortable.

Tommee(puppy)does like to be very close to me so usually ends up on the floor/bed near me

Can't really give advice as every dog is different & of course some like comfort & other prefer coolness
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Interestingly my friend who Roodee lives with for part of the week took out all his bedding from his crate as he rolls it up & uses it as a pillow 99% of the time. He refuses to go into his crate until she had put some bedding back that he immediately rucked up & used a pillow !!! When he is here he likes to sleep on a wooden window ledge !

Whilst it has been so warm at night I have the kitchen door open 24/7 & a couple of mine chose to stay outside all night, popping in occassionally to check I am still here !!

The others just either sleep in their open crates or wherever they feel comfortable.

Tommee(puppy)does like to be very close to me so usually ends up on the floor/bed near me

Can't really give advice as every dog is different & of course some like comfort & other prefer coolness
Remus sleeps on a cotbed mattress in the corner of our bedroom but still wants to come into bed at six. He gets right under the duvet, and I'm on under it, and I can feel him roasting away under there but he'll stay there for at least 45 minutes!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2013, 02:30 PM
I would definitely leave water in the crate - mine have access to water 24/7. I'd also leave a fan running in the room to keep the air circulating. Good luck .... it really is too hot for dogs ... and me
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2013, 04:33 PM
So Pippa has water, but sometimes spills it, especially when moving her blankets around which she does alot at the mo. I'm going to look at getting one that hooks onto the crate. I've also ordered some vet bed as I think it'll be cooler than blankets without losing the comfiness. I'm thinking of getting a proper crate cover as this might be cooler than the blanket she currently has over it but she will still have the den feel. We don't have any fans, and our mid terrace seems to stay fairly cool but I will look into getting one.

Thanks everyone!
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Bailiie sleeps in her covered crate in her lighter weight "summer" bed; in the cooler months she has the same style bed but a big fluffy memory foam one which she loves and sinks into
She has a little water dish hanging on the inside of the crate with access to water throughout the night - the picture below was taken just as Bailiie was testing the summer bed out so I hadn't had a chance to put the dish back in but this is her crate, her bed...

She loves going to bed ....

Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2013, 06:14 AM
When my two were younger and crated, they had a hook-over water bowl which they were forever knocking off. I bought one where the frame (ring) for the water bowl to sit in was screwed on to the side of the crate. Just a thought, but I'm sure little Pippa is never as rough/clumsy as my two were
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Hi Oscar sleeps in his crate all the time I've left his matress in there but replaced his fleece with a cotton sheet. As for water he always has access to water I bought a water bowl for a rabbit which fixes to the side of the crate so doesn't get knocked over. It's all common sense really.