Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Yes I have visions of her dressed up as a ninja
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2011, 07:44 AM
How are rescue places usually run these days? I know that many years ago Mother went to Battersea and picked out a very mixed breed dog she liked. Was told to go back in one week in case it [she] was claimed. Went back and was told she could not take the dog as it had a temperature so she chose another bitch mutt, which she duly went and collected a week later.

No home check or visit, and only a small donation requested "if possible". And the donations were entirely voluntary.

We were 12 years old at the time and knew nothing until we got home from school to find a rather bewildered approximately 18 month old little dog, Not spayed. No inoculations. Nothing. Just the fact that it was thought by Battersea that she was "approximately" 18 months old, and "possibly" had some corgi somewhere in her background.

She was a happy, placid little dog, who finally had to be euthanised at age 17 or 18 due to some form of dementia where she supposedly howled non-stop if left for more than a few minutes.

And I still blame a certain neighbour for having complained about that, as even though by then there were only our parents at home, the dog was rarely left. But the husband of the neighbour was a local councillor...

When my children were little and wanted a kitten I rescued one from the RSPCA. Again no home checks - no questions either. Just a £2 "donation" and "sign here that you will have the kitten spayed and that you agree that we can come and check at any time".

Which I did - had her spayed at the appropriate age, but never heard from the RSPCA again. Mind you, the RSPCA said the kitten was eight weeks' old but my then Vet, who was a family friend, said she was maximum 5 weeks' old...

The rescue shelter from where I got Pereg has only the capability of a limited number of dogs - I get regular emails and photos from them, and the number of pedigree dogs is astounding. The last email had four Shar Peis looking for homes...

Why?

But I live in a Country where dogs are classed by many as "ooh, the kids want a puppy" and then the kids get bored so the puppy is dumped "because we can always get another one".

Makes me thoroughly sick.

Sorry - rant over.

My two? My Little One was a rescue pup from a home on the Moshav, where they were only too glad to have someone take one of the pups that were born almost non-stop. And Pereg? She came from a rescue shelter in town. No home check, no nothing. Just my name and ID number put on a form for me to sign, and off I went in a taxi with one very tiny little pup.

Not even a request for a donation, although I have since regularly donated to the registered charity that run the shelter, and will continue to do so as long as it is within my capability.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:54 AM
I will send a balaclava and combats for SmokeyBear! It would be interesting if someone could have a nose around though. Never seen a rescue with so many pups and as someone else said, no staffies. Hope this isnt just the front of a puppy farm or BYB shop!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 08:56 AM
It does seem a bit suspect - so hopefully SB will take a look see. If you take an average I don't think the price is out of the ordinary. I was surprised that £180 was charged by Many Tears (although I realise this price often includes transportation from Ireland). They have a huge number of dogs and puppies available and take a lot of ex breeding pedigree dogs. When I was looking for another dog I was told they import 140 dogs at a time!!!! and I did wonder if they were a business. I hope not.
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Looks more like a 2nd hand dog shop than a proper rescue, I didn't notice on descriptions that the adults had been neutered which you'd expect to be included especially if your paying a rescue so much and seems to be popular breeds for quick rehoming.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 09:22 AM
By the time you add on neutering (which you can get for half-price but isn't done as standard) it's more expensive to get a dog via our local pound/rescue than via some of the breed ones!

Told the woman from one of the breed rescues this when she was on the phone apologetically justifying their rehoming costs and she almost died of shock!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 08:43 AM
I think that they are dog resellers rather than a rescue as they actually say themselves...

Please note we are a self funded family run business and not a charity run business.

Most rescues insist you return the dog to them if you can't keep it, on this website it's all about handing over the responsibility and hanging on to the money.

By rehoming a dog or puppy you agree to accept full liability for the dog/puppy

If dog/puppy proves unsuitable and you wish to return, the amount paid is non refundable

Again this shows that it is all about the dog as a commodity...

I also accept that unless you are at fault under the provisions of the sale of goods act I will have no entitlement for a refund of the purchase price or any other associated costs.

I personally think that they are using the term 'rescue' misleadingly and that they need to make it clearer that they are in the business of making a profit and that they are not a charitable body that is working only for the the dog's interests.

J.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I have already contacted the authorities (various) for clarification................
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Not read all the thread yet, but why in one litter are the boys £30 cheaper then the girls, surely being from a rescue they should all have to be spayed and neutered, so should be the same price? Unless its because of the colours, I mean I know blacks stay in rescues longer, but it still doesn't sit comfortably with me.

We have some very sweet cocker spaniel x bassett hound puppies. 2 black boys 2 golden girls. very playful active and friendly puppies. Parvo vaccinated 4 weeks free insurance ready now boys £350 girls £380

We have some very sweet cocker spaniel x bassett hound puppies. 2 black boys 2 golden girls. very playful active and friendly puppies. Parvo vaccinated 4 weeks free insurance ready now boys £350 girls £380
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4