Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ume chika
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Doggy daycare vs walks

We have a dog walker come and take our jack out for half an hour everyday when we are at work, (mainly so he can pee and gets out the house since hes alone for most of the day) but he still seems overly excited when we get home so we have ben discussing whether it would be better to extend the walk to 1 hour or use doggy daycare since they arent that different in price. we were already thinking of setting up daycare 1 day a week as jack loves the company of other dogs but would you use it instead of walk or use both during the week, eg 1 or 2 days daycare and 3-4 days walk ? whats other peoples experiences? is one better than the other or does it just depend on your dog or how many dogs you have?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 03:46 PM
The thing with daycares is most dogs are quite simply neurotic and over excited, however this could be good for your dog as it may help drain his energy.

But company with other dogs is better than half an hour walk IMO.

The decision is totally up to you I'm sure your dog will be happy with whatever.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 03:49 PM
We love daycare! If you can afford it and he would enjoy it then I say use it!

How many days is up to you. Is it based in one place or do they go out on walks? Would it be the same person looking after him if he did walks/daycare mixed? Is it the same dogs all the time? Does he get walked seperately or with other dogs? Can he go off lead on his walks?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 03:52 PM
How old is your dog?

If I put my super excitable girl into daycare x5 a week, I'd worry that she would expect way too much on the days 'off'. She would run and play all day if she could and would LOVE it, but I would not want to create an exercise monster that needed hours and hours of romping with other dogs to stay calm.

I would maybe do daycare once or twice a week if finances allowed, but I think a one hour walk would be preferable.
ume chika
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2011, 03:55 PM
jack is 4 years old, and isnt too excitable but does get bored left on his own all day. Its not the same person as the dog walker but other than that i wont know much about the place until we go down to see it.
has anyone noticed their dog being calmer after day care vs walks? or isnt there a difference?
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How old is your dog?

If I put my super excitable girl into daycare x5 a week, I'd worry that she would expect way too much on the days 'off'. She would run and play all day if she could and would LOVE it, but I would not want to create an exercise monster that needed hours and hours of romping with other dogs to stay calm.

I would maybe do daycare once or twice a week if finances allowed, but I think a one hour walk would be preferable.
Toby doesn't often do more than two days a week but he loves it. He is completely loopy and would go all day everyday given the chance!

When he was at the "fixed place" daycare there was plenty of opportunity for burning energy, but he also had time to chill out with the other dogs. When he was little I asked him to be brought out for an enforced 'nap' as he didn't stop all day and was knackered . As he got older though he learnt that he didn't have to run round like a loony all the time and would take a break when he needed it.

Now he goes out walking all day but gets plenty of breaks while he 'helps' collect/pick up the other dogs who don't do all day. He still comes home tired but its not excessive.

On the few occasions he has done 4/5 days in a row I found that he was quite happy to do nothing and have a good rest at the weekends (although he'd walk if I wanted to)

We briefly tried having someone come in and walk him but to be honest if I'm going to pay that much I'd rather he had a full day, it's about the same price!

It does depend on the dog, and also on the type of daycare. They should hopefully put him with other dogs of similar energy levels and tailor the amount of running around to suit his temprament.

Definately go look at the place and see what you think. You could always try it a few times and see how it goes