Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
slimjim
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-07-2009, 12:04 PM

Kong? (What to put in them)

Not sure which category to put this in, but because its to calm my Ozzy down i thought id put it here.
Ive been told that the Kong toy is an ideal way to keep dogs amused and calm over-excited dogs down, is this true?
Also, can anyone give me ideas of fillings to use as I dont fancy paying over the odds for the official kong fillers?
Ive seen online that peanut butter frozen is good, is this right?
Any other ideas please.
Thanks,
James.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 12:12 PM
My dogs love their kongs!

I use a peanut butter, marmite, sardines, biscuits etc, and I always freeze them!

Check the official kong website for some recipes:
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/kongstuffing.php
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi there

I'm pretty sure that there is a whole thread somewhere dedicated to kong fillings...have a quick search and hopefully you'll find it.

The fillings can range from their normal food or meat, some people put in fruit (e.g. bananas).

You can use peanut butter but I certainly wouldn't suggest filling the whole kong with it - I think you'd have one sick and (soon to be very fat) dog!

I tend to make them in layers - a bit of kibble or biscuit in the bottom, some meaty (or fishy e.g. pilchards) next, then some more kibble and finally something 'licky' - either some yoghurt, peanut butter, cream cheese or meat paste.

You can stick them in the freezer to make them longer lasting.

Depending on how vigourously your dog takes to the kong, will probably determine how tricky you make it for him to be able to get stuff out of it. For example, whole biscuits squeezed in can take the dog ages to get out, but some will just lose interest and give up!
slimjim
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I just found another thread, thats just me not looking first lol. Thanks anyway
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 12:19 PM
I put raw minced tripe in Bryan's kong, also I melt cheese in it (but you have to put it in the fridge to set because it gets extremely hot), peanut butter (just 1tsp smeared round the inside) and treats of varying sizes squished in to make it difficult to get out.

Bryan is so funny when he can't get something out of his kong, he starts growling and whining at it like he's telling it off
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 12:22 PM
My pair love a mix of dog biscuits and frozen strawberry yoghurt.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I put raw minced tripe in Bryan's kong, also I melt cheese in it (but you have to put it in the fridge to set because it gets extremely hot), peanut butter (just 1tsp smeared round the inside) and treats of varying sizes squished in to make it difficult to get out.

Bryan is so funny when he can't get something out of his kong, he starts growling and whining at it like he's telling it off
You see mine are smart/lazy or rather just have me well trained....when they get to a bit they can't get out despite throwing it around etc etc, they come and drop it in my lap and stare at me with big wide eyes. If I try and give it back to them without helping, they just put it in my lap again at me
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Kismet gets 'puppy sandwiches' in hers usually.. Either peanut butter fish paste (the cheapest one I can find) or marmite on a piece of bread squished into the kong. Sometimes I put a layer of bikkies in as well. sometimes frozen fish... sometimes last nights left overs... or some of her dinner.. I try to keep it different. BUt the easiest and her favourite is always puppy sandwiches.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Puppy sandiwiches - that's so cute!

Hali - Bryan knows I'm not a soft touch, but he does try to get OH to get the food out for him