19-08-2008, 10:26 PM
what are the irish setter people doing?
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:27 PM
quote removed
thats untrue.

the whole breed could be tested BUT if the pup has been run ragged HD will emerge.
it is down to the upbringing of the pup that can cause bad hips Not just the lineage.

the tests are not a guarantee BUT a good indicator.
and that goes for ALL breeds.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:30 PM
What we have hear is a scap goat too in the KC, even though they have set the breed standards, its the breeder that is responsible for exagerations in a dog and ANYONE that breeds a dog KNOWING they are breeding a feature that is detrimental to the dog is at fault. I dont think any breed standard states a dogs face is to be so flat as to cause the dog to have difficulty breathing?

Mo
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
What we have hear is a scap goat too in the KC, even though they have set the breed standards, its the breeder that is responsible for exagerations in a dog and ANYONE that breeds a dog KNOWING they are breeding a feature that is detrimental to the dog is at fault. I dont think any breed standard states a dogs face is to be so flat as to cause the dog to have difficulty breathing?

Mo
But if they don't, how would they fair in the KC show ring?

You must have seen that teeny little dog that could hardly walk so waddled out like an invalid, that won best in show, that then had to be placed on ice????

It seems that a breeder has to interpret the standard to the extreme in order to get a dog placed.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Well i was (am still am) totally disgusted

I was crying so much for the first 15 mins or so that my other half turned the t.v off and told me i wasn't allowed to watch it

I saw bits of it after that cos every time i got upset he turned the t.v off.

Oh and that woman who won BIS with the cav - should be shot. EVIL cow. What was it ? 35 litters her dog had sired AFTER being told by her vet NEVER to breed from that dog?
I was actually physically sick after that.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post

Mo
Agree but if these dogs didnt win shows people wouldnt keep breeding them like that
It is the judging that is causining the exagerations
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:35 PM
On the programme it said that the only breed to have one compulsory health test in order to be KC registered is Irish setters. The KC won't have put this in, I'd imagine it's the breeders who have pushed for this.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
They way I see it, compulsory health testing is the only way forward. Well done to the Irish Setter breeders, now it's time for everyone else to catch up. There's no excuse.
The GSD council has tried unsuccessfully numerous times to try to get the KC to make Health testing compulsory, this would bring the UK KC inline with the majority of other countries KC's. The KC are not interested has they recieve too much income from breeders in the GSD who dont health test or those that do but still breed from dogs with scores as high as 98.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-08-2008, 10:45 PM
There is one glaring problem that always hit me with the so-called-breed-standard-respect-my athorita-KC-attitude.

Describe a camel, or Giraffe, or Elephant in words.........you will quickly realise the futility of breed standards and how a judge applies his/her judgement based on the last one they saw and won and the written standard, so this one they have judged a winner must be good? Yeah? eh? DUH?

I hope Crufts does a royal nose dive into oblivion and takes with it "unethical breeders" which rigidly apply the KC standard as the holy grail of the pedigree dog world.. Bizarrely though I hope the KC does survive as dogs and their breeders do need a governing body but really it should have a radical overhaul, getting rid of the controlling and governing staff by culling down to the levl of office junior would be a start.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:45 PM
I'd imagine that they can't be kennel club registered, and since only KC reg dogs can be shown at KC shows, can't be shown. However, that's just an assumption, I'd be interested to know if this is the case.

edit - Wildmoor, very interesting to know, seems a shame that those trying to do the right thing are being told no.
Page 9 of 65 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 > Last »