Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post

I thought of you whilst i watching the tv. You poor thing i don't know how you cope.....
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
So did I.
I just pray that this prompts breeders to stop breeding from dogs with epilepsy in their lines - both KC and non-KC breeds. Also to stop in-breeding - both KC and non-KC.

Sadly, in my experience, this isn't going to happen unless it is enshrined in law. People/breeders don't want to believe that epilepsy can be hereditary - they'd rather believe that any seizures are caused by soooooooo many other things first. Secondly, well in-breeding is too attractive for many reasons such as preserving certain attributes and because there is a poor gene pool.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I knew it went on, but I was so surprised at the extent of it. It seems so much is swept under the carpet and just not spoken about, makes me wonder what I don't know.

On the other hand, there ARE good breeders who do only breed healthy dogs, and I don't think this was portrayed at all. My Border Collie is touch wood, totally fine, but my crossbreed girl is covered in lumps & has fits just like the boxer did. I don't like the way ALL KC breeders could now be seen as terrible. BYBs will be advertising non-KC as a plus point.

I am shocked and disgusted though, and it's certainly made me re-think my stance on the age-old Border Collie debate. I'll think very carefully about who I get my next pup from, to say the least.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I found most of this programme very upsetting and some of the attitudes of certain breeders horrific

totally agree with this comment. to think that a breeder would continue to breed from a known carrier is sickening, if in fact she know that is. I must say that I had to agree with the comments about certain breeds being bred with exaggerated features, and I think the KC was shown to be just a money making machine, the blank face of Ron Irving and his sidekick when questioned was priceless I have never seen anyone so dumfounded.

edited to add there are MANY GOOD, ETHICAL,EDUCATED KC BREEDERS that could have been interviewed, and the programme just directed its focus on the "bad" so IMO it was very biased

Mo
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Only healthy animals should be bred from, without doubt!!
Agree with that 100%, Stars parents were both healthy with no problems and had all test carried out which they passed. Yet both Star and his brother have had similar problems that needed a lot of time and money to fix(never cured just controled).

So if dogs from healthy parents can suffer problems breeding from unhealthy dogs is just playing with fire and imo creating a timebomb ready to go off.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:16 PM
they did look like they didnt have a clue didnt they!
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
Haven't been on here for a long time but thought i'd drop by to see what the comments on this programme were! i know there are people on here who i've had debates with before about the Kennel club and i'm interested to read their views? There are people on here who think it's right to breed to the breed standard even if it means health problems so lets hear the defence!
Totally agree with you son. I think the KC is all about money and not about the health of dogs. So many of these poor dogs obviously meet the breed standard to be a ble to win their rossettes. They need to pass health tests as well. Perhaps after seeing the poor epeleptic dogs suffering, people will understand LS, myself and others when we get so annoyed about new breeds being bred with epilepsy in their lines. I for one have spent many a night on the kitchen floor with my poor girl, it is so distressing for both dog and owner.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:20 PM
I have heard about the ridgeback issue before but I was unaware that the breed standard advised the culling of pups born without a ridge.

Mo
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I must say I didn't like the sensationalist angle
Sometimes I think that angle is the only one that makes people uncomfortable enough to sit up and listen...maybe even get something done about it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:23 PM
In-Breeding

This is something I have always been against, and is one of the reasons I would never get a 'new' breed again (Rocky has had his fair share of problems bless him).

In-breeding is necessary when creating a new breed as the breeders need to enforce type - i.e. so the dogs breed true, meaning offspring look just like their parents. In the old days offspring that didn't look like their parent were culled. I am not in favour of culling, but do acknowledge it has happened and as a result of the breeders efforts we have the many breeds we have today. Hence I see the difficulties in creating new breeds today.

I agree that inbreeding should be made illegal, but again, only because recent evidence has shown the true extent of the problems that can arise.

Unhealthy dogs winning shows

This is a difficult one. Obviously in an ideal world the answer would be no. But how would you police it? Some tests cannot be carried out until the dogs are adults. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Unhealthy dogs that have won shows to go on to breed

This is a big no from me!! Only healthy animals should be bred from, without doubt!!
Slightly OT but I feel that:

ALL breeders should be regulated, undergoing random/surprise inspections. They should be required to conform to certain rules that put the rights of the dogs first, including husbandry, numbers of litters per bitch, that kind of thing.

The breeders should be required to have certain health tests performed upon the dogs and pups before sale. Too many are getting away with chucking out pups without doing very much at all.

A licence fee should be introduced to cover the costs of basic training for owners plus an amount towards health research/tests such as epilepsy in certain breeds.

This sort of thing would be a start and roll-out to the KC who would not then be allowed to have dogs with problems.

TBH I'm amazed Mr Brown hasn't seen the tax benefits (for him!) of having official breeding regulations in place.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:23 PM
They way I see it, compulsory health testing is the only way forward. Well done to the Irish Setter breeders, now it's time for everyone else to catch up. There's no excuse.
Page 8 of 65 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 58 > Last »