Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Thankyou but as I only intend to rescue dogs and my pure breed dog of choice is the working border collie i have never felt it nes to research pedigree dogs from this country or any other........................................

.................................................. ..................Dogs are so amazing that they can carry on without complaint putting up with the horrific bodies that we have decided they should be in
Although the genetic side is a big thing I think all breeders should take a long hard look at their dogs and what the actual dogs looked like when the breed standard was 1st written and then they should hang their heads in shame and try and get back to the dog that they were supposed to be keeping pure
By choosing a BC from unknown background you do run the risk of owning a dog with major health problems HD, ED, CEA, PRA, Epilepsy & your really never do any research when looking for a new pet ? There are lots of working bred unreg BCs out there that have these lurking in their background & I hope you never rescue one that has any of these conditions.

There are a good number of ISDS dogs that appear clear of genetic conditions because they have never been health tested other than their eyes-my Brett had severe HD yet was bred to work sheep & not be in the showring !
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think when you do watch it you will see that there is a very brief mention of the DNA research (admitedly blink and you'll miss it, but it was mentioned).
but did it indicate that the Cavalier research is being jointly funded by the KC ?
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-08-2008, 09:19 AM
For me one of the major problems with the BBC's irresponsible and sensationalist approach to this programme is that it will give comfort and encouragement to those breeding indiscriminately for money. "Of course it's OK to breed my mongrel to the mongrel next door - the RSPCA and the BBC says they are better than pedigrees so I'm actually doing the world a favour while selling untested mongrels to an unsuspecting population."

What nonsense! The programme was right in drawing attention to particular issues within certain breeds, not that they told the whole story with any kind of balance. To tar the whole world of pedigree dogs with the same brush was poor journalism and very bad science.

As I have said on other threads - the argument that mongrels/crossbreeds are any healthier than pedigrees is extraordinarily flawed. How can they possibly know? What proportion of seriously ill mongrels ever see a vet compared with pedigree dogs? If the stats are compiled from veterinary files, then they will be completely unrepresentative of the real situation.

Mick
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Take your head out of the sand Mick!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
but did it indicate that the Cavalier research is being jointly funded by the KC ?
I must admit I can't remember exactly - as I say it was covered almost 'in passing'. it left me with the impression that it was the KC who were funding DNA research (not just specifically the Cavalier research) but I wouldn't like to say for sure.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
Concerning the GSD that won a 1st, does anyone know which show this was, which class, and who the judge was?

Maybe it was a veterans class, or 'disabled' class?

If not, I'd like to hear a justification for awarding a 1st to that particular dog. It could hardly walk.

Don't know about the first one but the one where the judge was interviewed was Crufts BOB. The judge was Terry Hannan, the dog Zamp v Thermalpants or similar. Pulled out in the Crufts group, he was commented on and faulted only on handling. He is the current German Seiger and held in the GSD world as a superb example.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post

The attitude of the breeders amazed me. I couldn't figure out whether they were led by ignorance, stupidity or greed. I wonder how many of the Ridgeback breeders actually know the ridge is a deformity? Do they know it or do they just not care? It astounds me that they kill puppies who do not have the ridge when they are actually the healthy ones.

I have purposely not commented on anything as I haven't seen the programme, it is on on Friday in scotland but I don't know if I will find it too upsetting to watch.
The ridge on a ridgeback is not a deformity but came from native dogs which were breed to other hounds. All it is is hair growing in the opposite direction. Ridged or ridgeless bears no impact on the dogs health as I understand it. The culling of healthy pups is always wrong in my eyes
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Interesting programme.

I didn't know about Rhodesians being culled because they had no ridge! thats plain madness, why?

I bought a ridgeback due to there temperament, not looks.

Didn't know about the spina bifida either, but about the other problems they can encounter. As said above, i read the ridge came from the african hunting dogs.

All about trying to perfect a race, didn't we move away from this after WW2?
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I have purposely not commented on anything as I haven't seen the programme, it is on on Friday in scotland but I don't know if I will find it too upsetting to watch.
The ridge on a ridgeback is not a deformity but came from native dogs which were breed to other hounds. All it is is hair growing in the opposite direction. Ridged or ridgeless bears no impact on the dogs health as I understand it. The culling of healthy pups is always wrong in my eyes
The deformity in the hair follicles caused by the ridge does predispose to dermoid sinus. A serious condition that can introduce infection into the vertebral column. There is a paper on this somewhere, I think I've posted on Dogsey in the past about this.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
For me one of the major problems with the BBC's irresponsible and sensationalist approach to this programme is that it will give comfort and encouragement to those breeding indiscriminately for money. "Of course it's OK to breed my mongrel to the mongrel next door - the RSPCA and the BBC says they are better than pedigrees so I'm actually doing the world a favour while selling untested mongrels to an unsuspecting population."

What nonsense! The programme was right in drawing attention to particular issues within certain breeds, not that they told the whole story with any kind of balance. To tar the whole world of pedigree dogs with the same brush was poor journalism and very bad science.

As I have said on other threads - the argument that mongrels/crossbreeds are any healthier than pedigrees is extraordinarily flawed. How can they possibly know? What proportion of seriously ill mongrels ever see a vet compared with pedigree dogs? If the stats are compiled from veterinary files, then they will be completely unrepresentative of the real situation.

Mick
excellent post Mick
Page 17 of 65 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »