Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 02:59 PM

new doggie

blackie and us are meeting up next week with a collie x b**** to see if they get on together and we might be rehoming with us. very excited about this but can people give me ideas on how to make it easy for blackie to except the changes
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 03:08 PM
I would make sure that he gets more attention than the new dog, and not make a huge fuss of either of them just let them settle together first.

H xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 04:17 PM
When I took on my first rescue last year when I had Cassie, we took them out together from the kennels first, just to see how they got on, which they did. Then when I went to collect him, I had her in the car too (in a different compartment!) and we went straight out for a long walk together. On our return home, she let him come indoors and investigate everything that was fine, but when he wanted to go back out of the door, she wouldn't let him! She stood over him growling with her head over his shoulders and he was frightened to move! Eventually, he backed down and walked away from the back door. They didn't seem too friendly after that, so we decided to go out in the front garden with a cup of coffee and sit down and see what they did. Well, after a few minutes they just played, and played, and played! I think they have to sort out the pecking order in the first instance, and that was what was happening at the back door when she had him cornered. Needless to say I was ready to intervene, but didn't have to coz he backed down. Just have to keep your eye on things, but the best thing I can advise is that first walk together (you may get some ructions with that coz I did!)and then when you get home, just let them outside and let them get on with it, you will know if things aren't going too well I can assure you! Good luck and no doubt you will let us know what happens
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 04:43 PM
good luck hope it works out for you
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi Blackies Mum I hope it all works out for you and that the dogs are compatable

If you do get the new dog..

Introduce the two dogs on neutral ground,
When you bring the new dog home take Blackie for a walk and let the new dog look around before you bring Blackie back in so he will not feel the need to defend the house.
Take them both for lots of walks so there are distractions around while they get used to each other.
Remove any toys that could create a disagreement,
Leave then to get used to each other ignoring both of them, just watch them,
Do not single one dog out for individual attention over the other,
Feed and give treats separately.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2006, 05:59 PM
No more to add except hope it all goes well and you are able to rehome her