Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Unexpected weekend :-(

Hi all,

Needing some help / advice / cheer up please!

Took Bella to a friends over the weekend. Now before I begin, Bella has NEVER shown any aggression in her life. As a beagle, she is pretty placid and loving. She has interacted with more dogs than I can count (female and male) and she knows the boundaries. Ie, my sisters 9 yr old JRT doesn't really like Bella - so when she growls, Bella will back off, and has learnt to keep out of her way.

Anyway, my friend has a 3 month old choc lab, who is far bigger and bouncier than Bella. They were playing fine. All of a sudden Bella got a bone, so she took it under the table to chew. Bailey (choc lab) was barking, and jumping around the table as if to say "I want to play", but Bella growled to back off, as she clearly wanted to chew.

Anyway, the choc lab didn't take no for an answer and bounded under the table, even after her owner tried to give her a different bone. To which Bella snapped, and they had a bit of a scuff under the table. We separated them, cleared all bones, and let them have a ten minute calm down.

After that, every play got a bit rough and ended up in a miniature scrap. The last one, was so difficult we both struggled to get them off each other. That was the point when I said, I have to go home. Gutted! Bella has never been like this before. So I don't know if its her fault, the choc labs fault, or just a clash between the two!? I couldn't tell you who started the scrapping within play, but every time one went, the other retaliated.

Bit worried, as we are due to go to my other friends house, who has a 9 month male sprocker. He is quite soft, but can be a little possessive over his food. I want to take Bella, as she should enjoy the play, and plays fine with Alfie (9 month sprocker). Just worried if we are going to have more fights?!

Also, if anyone knows why she might have behaved this way, I would appreciate it. I love dog psychology, and would love to know what she's thinking / how she's feeling so I can interupt before anything gets messy.

Thanks - Sorry for the essay guys. Bit upset xxx
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I think the best advice I can give you is to separate the dogs, when at your friends, when there is food/bones around. It is quite common for dogs to fight over food.

I had three dogs once and none of them ever fought over food. I now have two dogs and they both fight over food.

With regards to the second incident, it sounds like the lab is getting too over excited in play and Bella isn’t liking it. Let them play by all means but if it starts to get a little rough, give them both a time out.

Try not to worry too much when you go to your friends house next week, the dogs will pick up on this and can cause the dogs to behave differently to what they would do normally.

HTH
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I know it must be upsetting, but there were several obvious triggers here so Bella wasn't acting that way for nothing. Sounds to me like the lab is too big and bouncy and Bella objected. Try walking them together somewhere so there is lots of space to run away and see what happens. Also, keep food out of the equations (especially with the sprocker if it is know to be a bit possessive). Many people feed their own dogs separately, so it's probably a bit much to expect dogs who hardly know each other to share. Chin up, these things happen, all you can do is learn from it
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Agree with the above. I am always very careful with my lot around food. I know the ones that I can trust not to cause a fuss and I know the ones that I can't. I just make sure I control the situation. Luckily, the house dogs, are all pretty much ok around food so no stresses and the kennel dogs are kenneled in pairs with who they don't fight over food.

A dog fight can be quite scary but more often than not, it's just noise.

My old springer, Holly, was a ****** with other dogs who wouldn't take no for an answer. She was fine if they stayed away from them but if they ignored her polite request to stay away, sparks would fly.

I would say less stressful for everyone if they are kept separate when food is an issue and maybe take them for a walk before actually going into the house.

Don't stress about it.

Helen
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:47 AM
I agree with the above. My dogs will eat bones etc lying next to one another with no problems, but I wouldn't expect any of them to have no problems with a friends dog in the house over a bone.

I think its best to keep treats on walks when out with other's as a way of praise, but not in such an enclosed space.

As for the lab, he is still very much a pup who is learning so he will still be at the beginners stage of learning doggy body language, maybe a next meeting should just be a walk.
Same with your other friend, when you go best a walk first and then a return to the house if you desire with all toys and food taken up