register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 33 of 84 « First < 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 83 > Last »
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Like you I currently have 4 dogs who could very well decide to kill me and have a really good chance at doing so. These 3 intact males are not cream puffs and by Cesar's metric they do everything "dominant" dogs do and he would likely say that they are trying or have "taken over" As I've stated previously the are trained in protection sports with one of them doing real civil defense. Despite all of this, I've never employed any of Millan's punitive methods to train them, nor do I or my neighbours, other dogs experience any problems with them.

In Bark Magazine Dr. Nicholas Dodman tells this story about a research carried out by a grad student at tufts. Two groups of puppies one group was told:

Big surprise, the first group ended up with aggressive, possessive problem dogs. The second group taught the dog to sit for stuff had no problems. It's like Jean McConnell likes to say, bad behavior is the product of owners rewarding bad behavior.

If your dogs are likely to kill you Promethean, maybe you really do need Cesar's help !!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
That's why there are paddling pools everywhere for the dogs to cool off in Mish

I so disagree about CM's body language

You would have expected nothing less, would you, from me !!

Well of course, maybe hes just "stiff" cos his ego is stuffed right up his own jacksey!!!!!
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I couldn't get the NuNu clip to run ! But I remember NuNu so well because 1) he was the most odious little **** at the start, and 2) it was one of the very first CM's I had ever watched.

That dog is a classic example of a dog being "rewarded" by his owner for aggressive and dominant behaviour,
Up to here you are correct. It think the nunu episode was the first ever show.

a dog who feels he has had to take over because the owner is weak, in his eyes.
Here not only are you pretending to have insight into the dog's mind, you are also interpreting using outdated and debunked theories. Note that there is no need to invoke your whole dominant speil because we already have an explanation that is consistent with what we observe. Mainly, behavior that is rewarded is repeated.

He ends up a well balanced, happy little soul, still with his confidence intact, his spirit has not been broken, he is still "NuNu - and don't you forget it" type body language !
In this case, because it was simple case of operant conditioning, using punishment on a the dog worked. However as we have seen in other cases where he tries to punish the fear out of a dog, he in ultimately unsuccessful even if he temporarily manages to suppress the behavior.

EDIT. Having seen the episode again with sound, I change my opinion. This dog was fearful from the start and Millan likely only suppressed the behavior.

Millan's babble

"Nunu was nervous, by giving him affection is to nurture that nervous state of mind and from that point on he became the dominant one. So we had a dominant nervous leader."

He contradicts himself a few moments later by saying

"calm assertive leader becomes pack leader."

So how is Nunu a nervous pack leader? He makes no sense.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
If he's so good why this classic mistake. Dog doesn't want to be touched so what does he do? Touch it from behind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS7n7Inb66g
Becky

ETA here's one involving a chihuahua
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGK6KMDOykw
dog is clearly terrified but no it's dominant. He pins the dog down with a finger under the collar but says he's not using force he also lifts the dog up with his hand round it's neck and collar. The he says see he's given up, of course he has the poor animal is terrified.
Becky
You can see the yorkie, displaying many of the stress signals: stiffness, backswept ears, sniffing, looking away and before the bite licking....

Millan missed them all.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Because this "elderly pitbull" is very fit and healthy, and showing far too much interest in lethal snakes ! As we now know, Daddy et al are taken out into S California where snakes are prevalent and therefore the likelihood of death was extremely high.
Its no excuse, if I went to train a dog how to jump over an A frame, I wouldnt use my elderly dog to demopnstrate how its done, Id teach the owner of the dog who wanted it, how to do it, as my elserly dog was never likely to be going over A frames again. It was unacceptable.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2009, 03:19 PM
This thread has been re opened on the instructions of Admin. Please do not make personal remarks and please stay on topic .
Thank you.
***Any Off Top posts will be removed.***
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:38 PM
I watched another CM show last night (well I dipped in and out) and there was a little white dog, obviously protective of it's environment, that bit the director. CM then proceeded to chase said dog around it's garden with a candle holder for 10 minutes, apparently this was because it was important HE conquered it on it's own turf. Hmmmm. Said dog ended up knackered...and he put a slip lead on it and took it walkies...
Oh please....
It was the most bizarre tv I have had the misfortune to watch for a long time.
weim1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Weim1,

How have his methods helped you? Which of his methods do yo sue? We see so much on TV from him stringing dogs up and visibly makin them uncomfortable.

DO uyou use all of his work or do you pick certain pieces of his work and adapt them to suit your own situation?

Do you alpha roll your dog at all? If so, why?

The reason I ask is because I've seen this done naturally wth my own dogs and the submissive dog rolled voluntarily, without force from the bigger, older dog. (Just an example of why I think this one technique isn't advantageous to dog training).

Laura xx
I dont understand what you are saying with the stringing up,Ive never heard that word on his show or seen him do it,I have watched all his shows and not seen him make a dog uncomfortable Ive seen him deal with dogs that are already uncomfortable,hence why he was called in,also ive never heard him use the word "alpha roll"are you sure we are talking about the same show?/trainer
my dog responded to the calm energy and the touch,the walk and the love when she was calm,she is happier and I am happier,she has MORE freedom as I can now trust her where I couldnt before,we continue to watch his show every week,and the change in her in just a month is noticed by all my friends.xxx
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by weim1 View Post
I dont understand what you are saying with the stringing up,Ive never heard that word on his show or seen him do it,I have watched all his shows and not seen him make a dog uncomfortable Ive seen him deal with dogs that are already uncomfortable,hence why he was called in,also ive never heard him use the word "alpha roll"are you sure we are talking about the same show?/trainer
my dog responded to the calm energy and the touch,the walk and the love when she was calm,she is happier and I am happier,she has MORE freedom as I can now trust her where I couldnt before,we continue to watch his show every week,and the change in her in just a month is noticed by all my friends.xxx

Yes, CM is known for "alpha rolling" and "stringing up." However, I don't see it as the serious thing that some members see.

The alpha roll is simply CM rolling the dog on its back, as another dog would in certain situations.

The stringing up, as I see it, is when a dog is out of control (I believe CM refers to this as the red zone) and CM basically holds the dog in position via the use of a lead/leash, so as he is in control of the dog (I saw him do this once when a dog was basically about to attack him).
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:49 PM
I haven't read the whole post but just wanted to say, because of the title of this thread I watched it the other day to see if it was true.

It wasn't. It was terrible and possibly the worst I'd ever seen!!! It actually really upset me to see it.

The guy is not en expert, he gets dogs to stop dong things by making it seem a bad experience for them and to listen to him by scaring them into it.

I cannot stand him and am never watching CM again!!
Closed Thread
Page 33 of 84 « First < 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 83 > Last »