View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-06-2011, 05:38 AM
i have 3 but i want 4, we have just enough room for the 4th one and we will be changing the car to one of those berlingo things soon, we can afford another insurance cost and as my dogs are my only indulgence cost wise we can afford food, equipment and routine vet costs, holidays are a concern as we just managed to find one that allowed 3 dogs so 4 would be a struggle. Time wise is not a problem as we have a good 2 hour morning walk, half hour lunchtime and 1-2 hours again evening and each dog gets some one to one attention.
One dog does flyball and we are just having two assessed to join an agility club.
However the missus sees it in a different light and she will not budge from 3 and as she plays a major part in the dogs wellbeing i have to bow to her wishes so until she changes her mind then 3 it will be.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 06:25 AM
I had 14 at one time, all setters and pointers so large dogs, all living in the house with me...it was wonderful and I loved every minute of it.

I had land so they were never short of exercise, we had lots of trees so they had lots of stimulation watching the birds and playing with each other.

At that time I could afford medication, vets treatments and to show them too, then I split from my partner and things became difficult. I then became ill and I had to rehome all of them apart from one old boy.

Now I just have my youngster and I am really enjoying him being the only one, he can come with us when we visit relatives, he is coming for a short break with us and I show him and don't have to worry about arranging care for others at home whilst I am out.

However, as much as I am enjoying just having the one, my heart still hankers for some playmates for him, when we do eventually move back to the country with some land then I don't think it will be long before some others join us, I think I would limit myself to 3 or 4 though.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Scorpio, 14 how wonderful

At the moment we have 7 as we are around on the farm all day the dogs get plenty of time spent with them and get loads of exercise, they have plenty of space so no probs there. Would I have anymore???????? never say never but at the moment 7 dogs and 4 cats is enough.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:04 AM
I`ve got 4.....
try bribery.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 07:13 AM
I have 3 dogs...went from 2 to 1 to 3 in 4 weeks..shck to the system much? Oh yes but am loving every minute

Would I have more at the minute? No, not a chance. I have enought ime to spend with these 3 together in a group & also working with them seperatly but even then thats getting up at 6:30 & not going to bed til after 11.

Financially I couldnt afford another one, I've taken out insurance on them all but its not the insurance I want (cover for life) as I just cant afford it at the moment (£102) so they have a different insurance which is costing me £50 a month.

In a perfect world I'd live in a house the same size as this, but would love loads ofland....THEN I'd have more dogs....ALOT more dogs
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 08:14 AM
When I was growing up we had just one, but then they had my families dogs' to play with and were involved in everything... Now I have 4 large gundogs and love it, it is crazy at times, but I could never be a single dog family now I think (no offense intended to anyone else, btw)
When we finally move, I hope to be adding another setter puppy to the mix, to show lightly and maybe a smaller dog at some point a year after...
With me, its time, money and space.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 08:25 AM
I Currently have 5 which I find Ok, but only because I have the time for them due to my work. I am also lucky with Walks locally, meaning I can walk the 5 of them together.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I have 5 waiting for number 6 and when I had the 2 fosters here I had 7, but I have all day to myself and I'm financially secure with a house that's too big for us. I walk them all together with no isues at all. I think how many depends on you, your dogs, your life and finances which are different for everyone.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Time, finance and space/suitable environment together with personal ability would be my considerations. It also depends on the size and energy levels of the dogs you like to have. On a personal level, over the years I have had 2-3 dogs together and I have enjoyed having 3 high energy dogs living happily together, but now they have gone I feel those days are over I am getting older. I have now one new golden retriever puppy and I will be content to have just her. I have the resources and energy to do a good job on her - it is likely that she will be my last large dog and I have to accept that. Even if the spirit is willing I feel it is best to do the best you can for fewer dogs than struggle with too many.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I had 14 at one time, all setters and pointers so large dogs, all living in the house with me...it was wonderful and I loved every minute of it.
I remember Sheree , I used to love the group photos and tales of your gang, how some of them they used to make me laugh

We have space for another dog, finances for another dog and I would have time - if Max wasn't so 'unique'.....

If, I could ever get Max to accept living with another dog I would have to walk them individually. I like to think that if Max had come to us as a puppy he would be a very different dog to what he is and it wouldn't be a problem walking him with another dog. I never walk Max locally, I much prefer to chuck him in the car and go somewhere a bit nicer for a good walk. It all takes time.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >