Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Natural flea/worming treatments?

Since Zeke's cancer and my dogs becoming modern day hippies (vacs, food, water and environment sorted ) I now am looking into their worming and flea treatments.

I have previously used advocate, which does both together in a spot on treatment administered once a month, probably the most toxic one going .

Where can I start to find natural alternatives? Does anybody use natural alternatives on their dogs?

It's a difficult one, I had a pony who got very ill through a worm-related illness, and I had worms myselfr as a child! so I've always been a bit paranoid hence why I used advocate - it covers them all (well, nearly).
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2010, 05:34 PM
My dogs have garlic and I havent had any problems since putting them on it. I understand garlic is subject to some contrevsy but that only relates to onions and have been proven not the same in garlic.

Just what i use.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I give my dogs garlic capsules once a day and then I also use a tea tree spray on if we are going to an area I think might be rife with ticks etc.

My dogs have never had fleas but Jessie is prone to ticks on her face and head (she spends most of her time in thick undergrowth and digging rabbit holes). I have to say though since using the garlic, she hasnt had a single tick.

I still worm them however using Drontal.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I use Diatom earth (food grade) which is a natural dust and you can use it for worming too. I would say you would have to read up on it cos of your dogs condition but it has no chemicals in it so should be fine.

It really works, I have not seen a single fllea since i have used it...and thats saying something cos the cat usually brings them in and then they spread through the dogs!!

I rub a small amount in their coats every few weeks(only drawback is it slightly dulls their coats but only for a day or two). You can also sprinkle a bit in their bedding if you think you need to.

Scroll down to the Diatom earth
http://www.sprcentre.co.uk/diatomandpoultryshield.htm
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
We use CSJ Billy No Mates - not had fleas/ticks etc with it and smells lovely on their food and also on them too!