Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Jack Russell down a fox hole

Just had a very worrying time, in the nature reserve part of our park we bumped into a friend who's little JR, Poppy, had vanished under a bramble bush down a fox hole and still hadn't come out 30 mins later!

I tried squeaking Pepper's cuz, which Poppy loves, but she still wasn't appearing and we were starting to get worried so her owner went off for a scythe and a shovel while I stood watch. Sure enough as soon as he was gone out popped a little head that is supposed to white but was now brown with mud, as was the rest of her! The little tinker was filthy but seemed perfectly fine otherwise and trotted over to me very nicely and let me put her on Pepper's lead. Obviously her owner was very relieved to see her and very relieved he wasn't going to have to dig her out!

Guess who won't be going in the nature reserve any time soon?!

J
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:57 PM
I used to carry a spade in my car all the time for just such an event. My first dog Winston spent 7 hours down a badger sett which was an awful wait but like Poppy, once I'd gone home to ring round a few people he came out, filthy and covered in fleas!
Becky
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I used to carry a spade in my car all the time for just such an event. My first dog Winston spent 7 hours down a badger sett which was an awful wait but like Poppy, once I'd gone home to ring round a few people he came out, filthy and covered in fleas!
Becky
OMG! 7 hours! You must have been worried sick, was Winston a JR?

At least Pepper just tries to climb trees to get the squirrels....so far....I really hope she never sees a fox!

J
running cloud
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2007, 02:56 PM
My ex father in law kept JR's always down rabbit holes, commen practise with them,he now has boarder terriers and i beleive they are just as bad!! Nature of the breed!!!LOL
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Just had a very worrying time, in the nature reserve part of our park we bumped into a friend who's little JR, Poppy, had vanished under a bramble bush down a fox hole and still hadn't come out 30 mins later!

I tried squeaking Pepper's cuz, which Poppy loves, but she still wasn't appearing and we were starting to get worried so her owner went off for a scythe and a shovel while I stood watch. Sure enough as soon as he was gone out popped a little head that is supposed to white but was now brown with mud, as was the rest of her! The little tinker was filthy but seemed perfectly fine otherwise and trotted over to me very nicely and let me put her on Pepper's lead. Obviously her owner was very relieved to see her and very relieved he wasn't going to have to dig her out!

Guess who won't be going in the nature reserve any time soon?!

J
HOW LUCKY IS HE, my Jr (years ago) disappeared doen a Bager set and wasn't seen for a week, The colour of sand aznd supporting a gash across her face which scared. JR's are little nightmares arn't they. Glad she's safe
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 04:57 PM
A Jack russell doing what jacks do best!
Thank goodness she didn't come to any harm.:smt001
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Its illegal to allow your dog down Fox holes, please be careful, you stand to end up in court and your dog seized if you are caught. The "antis" dont view it as an accident!!

Mahooli.
An unused Badger sett obviously! Good job too, otherwise Winstone would of been mincemeat!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its illegal to allow your dog down Fox holes, please be careful, you stand to end up in court and your dog seized if you are caught. The "antis" dont view it as an accident!!
I didn't know that! Thanks Borderdawn, I'll make sure Poppy's owner knows. I have to admit that being in an urban area (Ealing doesn't have much in the way of hunting, shooting or fishing ) the idea that someone would think she might have been told to do it on purpose hadn't crossed my mind, but I agree, you can never be too careful.

J
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 07:03 PM
The law is a joke M'ship, really is, you have to PROVE (how??) that you didnt intend your dog to "hunt" the Fox and persue it to ground, regardless of the fact you probably never saw the fox in the first place!!! Just pays to be on your guard, glad Poppy is ok.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Mahooli.
An unused Badger sett obviously! Good job too, otherwise Winstone would of been mincemeat!
I wish it had been unused, he had a rather badly bitten face but I think he gave as good as he got as he was oversized probably why he got stuck!). Once I realised the badger sett was there I stopped walking past it but he remembered where it was from another place and did a runner there and yes he was PRT! And before anyone says anything about it being illegal I know and we did it all properly informing the Police Wildlife Liason Officer and the then MAFF about getting a licence to have him dug out although he suggested leaving him down there for 48 hours before issuing a licence, good job I knew the Fell and Moorland!
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >