View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:13 PM
A pulling dog is a pain in the back TBH. Mine pull when excited but because they are big strong dogs I can`t just let them or we`d be under a bus. So when they do pull I have to spend some time reminding them of their manners.
I think those of us who don`t drive don`t really have to option of letting our dogs pull - we have to do something to stop it.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:15 PM
TBH I do think it's important what side they walk on. I never used to but it was suggested at training class that we pick a side and stick to it, and the dogs do walk better if they know what is expected of them. It's part of being consistent. Rio walks on the left, Dan on the right, reason being Dan is harder work and I'm right handed. If Dan gets on the left he is all over the place, so that works for us. Rogue is on the left with Rio (or will be when she does proper walkies). She only does a couple of minutes at the moment, the ground is too cold for her little paws!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Ok hands up Flynn is a absolute nightmare on the lead! He grabs the lead in his mouth & Runs backwards barking his head off,Tugging the lead!!! Lead work for him is very very exciting & i never bothered to sort it out (my fault). So no he dosent feel the need to walk nicely on the lead. He does walk quite nicely on the very end of a flexi with 4 inches of it in his mouth!!!!

He walks nicely off the lead , his "with mes" & obvisley does Competition Obedience work at all paces with no commands
(closeiees)

However i do make him continue his on Lead work, cos its good for his Hips!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:22 PM
for me its a must, can you imagine if kaos and vinnie decided they wanted to take off on the lead!! with me clinging like fury to the other end
shona the human kite!! tada.

but thats not to say dogs are perfect, dougies dog teagan pulls now and then.....la la lol.

but on the whole, yes its important to me and my health lol
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am DESPERATE to have Woody walk nicely on lead and to be honest I am NEVER giving up and know there is more I can do.

HOWEVER, I think it is very wrong for smugness to set in on this issue and to pass judgement.

She has a black lab btw ;o)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
for me its a must, can you imagine if kaos and vinnie decided they wanted to take off on the lead!! with me clinging like fury to the other end
shona the human kite!! tada.

but thats not to say dogs are perfect, dougies dog teagan pulls now and then.....la la lol.

but on the whole, yes its important to me and my health lol
Buuuuuuuut, as important as it is, what if you can't do it?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Buuuuuuuut, as important as it is, what if you can't do it?
im not sure how to answer this without sounding smug...but its not a problem I have had in years,

tbh the worst dog I had on lead was my gsd who did obed he was an ass hole on the lead....but great off lol

if I couldnt do it, I guess I would keep trying/ walk only one rottie at a time for my own safety lol
fill up the saddle bags and weigh the sod down a bit...lol

not all dogs are perfect, like I say teagan can be a bit of a pain on lead now and then, {I still blame dougie though}

I guess you either learn to manage your dog, or work through the issue which could take a long time {aka it may get better when the dogs to old to be bothered

I often think that having a tricky dog to work with makes us better owners, we learn so much from them, so many tricks I have learned from training other peoples dogs.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:35 PM
im not sure how to answer this without sounding smug...but its not a problem I have had in years,

tbh the worst dog I had on lead was my gsd who did obed he was an ass hole on the lead....but great off lol

if I couldnt do it, I guess I would keep trying/ walk only one rottie at a time for my own safety lol

not all dogs are perfect, like I say teagan can be a bit of a pain on lead now and then, {I still blame dougie though}

I guess you either learn to manage your dog, or work through the issue which could take a long time {aka it may get better when the dogs to old to be bothered

I often think that having a tricky dog to work with makes us better owners, we learn so much from them, so many tricks I have learned from training other peoples dogs.
If that's true, I'm an expert! Seriously though, I know exactly what you mean.

I don't feel that his pulling is a danger to me or others though. It's a pain in the **** (back?) but I know to keep an extra eye out and tighten his lead where necc'. I use some good gear so it;s as easy as it can ever be to walk him but that doesn't stop me wanting to do it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:36 PM

Totaly agree!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Booked in to the physio for a frozen shoulder ;o)
Yeah....it can help a lot!

Very impressive. Do you think it's the dogs, the breed, the owner or the whole package? How's Etta?
No idea - I can't consciously remember teaching them to walk nicely when they were together - I just sort of espceted them to do it...although they have all been taugh to walk nicely seperately so maybe it just fell in place when they were together.

Etta is fine....accept she tured into a bird retirever today....
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »