Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
laurenoioi
New Member!
Female 

25-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Puppy / Kitten help..

We brought our new 1 yr old girl Ava home from rescue kennels 2 days ago. She's GSD / Rotti cross so quite a big dog.

We have two kittens who are both 3 months old and was a bit worried how they'd react to her at first but they seems to be getting used to her and she's fine with them.

My main concern is she keeps eating their food all the time! I've told her not to and I know it's only been 2 days but whenever my backs turned she starts muching on it again! I can't put their bowls high on the counter because they're still too small to jump that high and I don't want them up there anyway.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Boxerfan
New Member!
Female 

25-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi There

I had this problem with my boxer and my staff - unfortunately as they are all 'bull breeds' they are quite stubborn. The best thing I can say is to be strong now, especially as you have only just got her you can set your boundaries and she should learn quite quickly.

When she goes near their bowl, give her a short sharp tug on her collar and tell her leave it in a very firm manner - re-enforce this everytime and you should be successful.

Good luck - fingers crossed
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:02 PM
I think that leaving cat food around is a little bit too tempting for a newly rescued dog. I don't know how much of her history you know, but it could have been possible that the dog was short of food in the past? If this could have been the case, I think it would be a little unfair to chastise her for polishing off their meals. Could the kittens be fed in another room, or do they have to have food down all the time? If so, could you put a baby-gate or something up, which the dog cant get through, but the cats can? Hope you can sort something out!
laurenoioi
New Member!
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Ah yes, I have been and she goes and lays down in the opposite corner, but as soon as my backs turned she's at it again the minx!
laurenoioi
New Member!
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I think that leaving cat food around is a little bit too tempting for a newly rescued dog. I don't know how much of her history you know, but it could have been possible that the dog was short of food in the past? If this could have been the case, I think it would be a little unfair to chastise her for polishing off their meals. Could the kittens be fed in another room, or do they have to have food down all the time? If so, could you put a baby-gate or something up, which the dog cant get through, but the cats can? Hope you can sort something out!
She was found about 2 months ago running around nottingham city but not mal-nourished, just lost.
As the kitten are so young they need to have food down all the time.
Ah, yes i have thought about the crate idea but I'm guessing it'd have to be really heavy as she's a big dog and really strong!!
I have a big kitchen and no other rooms they could be fed in unless I use the bedroom but that's errr... not convenient? And she goes in there as well!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Sorry but I must admitt that the above answer was exactly my thoughts too.
We have 5 cats here and 3 dogs..........the cats where here first, simple solution I use is cats feed outside by the back door, dogs in the kitchen, when all finished cats come back in.
You could try separate rooms or baby gate which above has suggested......and bear in mind that most dogs whether you have had them 2 days or 12 years...prefer cat food. Best of luck hope you find your solution xxxx
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
simple solution I use is cats feed outside by the back door, dogs in the kitchen, when all finished cats come back in.
:
They only 3 moths old though so cant go outside yet.

Cat food has more protein so they prefer it. I feed mine on the fish tank or window sill. Do you have a problem with the litter tray too? I use a baby gate on they stairs.

ATD x