View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2007, 06:20 PM
it doesn't matter what size or breed the law is the law and will be dealt with the same in the courts.
but i agree bigger dogs usually get treated differently to small ones.
yes they can do more damage but a bite is still a bite.
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
No but but you can't compare a nip to the ankle with other news stories that have been Big!!news

If this Dachshund had killed or seriously hurt someone yes I do think it would be all over paper etc.
i agree it would have been everywhere had the dog killed someone
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2007, 06:55 PM
but thats just it even if these dogs are not capable of killing etc due to size they are and can be still aggressive in general.
i know what you mean ann marie a lot of small dogs come up to ours and seem to think they have to try it on or be aggressive, i don't know why, maybe they think that have to protect themselfs due to size, but if ours told them off who's dogs would get the blame........mine.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Depends on whether you are seeking revenge for the deed, or dealing out a punshment to fit the consequences of the deed.

To be fair to all dogs (in human terms) they should be judged on he severity of the attack, regardless of the damage caused. But dogs are not human, so IMO should not be subject to our principles.

Of course it is possible that a dog the size of a mini Dachshund is capable of doing serious damage to a child given the right circumstances but the chances of this happening are low. The chance of serious damage in a dog attack increases in proportion to the size and musculature of the dog.

Personally, I'm amazed a nip on the ankle form such a tiny dog has caused such a fuss! If this is a recent story, there's probably an element of hysteria following recent events.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2007, 09:39 AM
The dog should be treated exactly the same as any other, if it bites then it and its owner should be held responsible. We all say it should NOT be breed specific, here is just that case.
Dawn.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2007, 10:37 AM
The article wasn't very clear as to where the dog and neighbour were at the time. All the owner says is that she was carrying shopping into her house , the children and dog were running on ahead then the neighbour claims to have been nipped on the ankle. If this has happened in the street , shared access to the houses or even in a communal stairway , then these are all considered to be public places. If the dog has just ran up to someone and bitten them , then it is not under proper control and the owner is guilty of an offence. But this is for the court to decide as they will have the relevant details from both parties. Regardless of the breed , no dog should get away with biting , ( or nipping as some owners of small breeds call it ) . This lady should be fined and ordered to keep her dog on a lead. Maybe then she will realise that she is responsible AND liable for her dog's actions. (JMO). .
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2007, 11:34 AM
The Dachshund has bitten someone therefore it's owner has broken the law and is going to court . The same law applies to all dogs and it is up to the owner to ensure their dog is kept under proper control . I've added a link to the DDA just incase anyone wants to read it . Section 3 of this act applies to this Dachshund's owner. Link to DDA , http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welf...estic/dogs.htm. I do not agree with Breed Specific Legislation . I would rather the general public was more knowledgeable about their chosen breed before they bought a dog.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Thread has been split and posts moved here: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=53789 please use it to discuss anything related all breeds being treated the same on BSL / DDA
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2