View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 06:26 PM
This telly is very light actually Pat, although it's a 50" (and he's going for the 60" next ) I could lift it myself, it's super thin and very light, plus of course, why would I ever want to move it off the wall, once there, it's gonna stay there?

Yes, I'm now realising that putting a big sofa across the middle of the room is not a good look, just that I really fell in love with that sofa Maybe we need to sell this house and get a bigger one again????

This house is all about that view out the front, that's why they put a terrace there, to do just that, with the changing seasons, you get different views each time, so my thoughts of that sofa being across like that was to soak up the view inbetween watching the telly lol! I can still look out there though from my recliner cos I'm the one who sits on the right next to the patio doors.

Poor Dave, but you've made him happy, very happy!!!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 06:29 PM
If you wanted more seating in there you could buy a small two seater sofa and have it on the half of the patio doors that don't open or, on the other side if the room, on that wall....maybe partially out into the archway.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 06:30 PM
If you put a sofa facing the patio doors you could enjoy the view in comfort.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
LOL Lynn, don't give Dave MORE work!!!! It cannot go anywhere else, the patio doors take up the whole of the front wall to the terrace, then there's the glass doors into the hallway, and if we put it around the corner in the dining area then we'd be even closer lol!

Now, here's those glass doors from the other side where they are in the hallway, so again, Jenny, we can't hang the tv there if they go cos it'd be hanging in mid air

So this will be all opened up, to an open plan "feel" although there's still a bit of hallway wall left before the front door where I stood where I took this pic.

Yes Jackie, you're right, and you Jenny, and TM that sofa is far too big for this lounge, I had illusions of grandeur which didn't pay off, and now that we've put the chairs right back in front of the glass doors, well away from the telly, it's left a huge big wide open area in front of the telly which is lufferly

I'm so glad I asked you lot and it has saved arguments with Dave about it, but I never thought you'd agree with HIM instead of me!!!!

Right, back to square one then, and this has opened it all up again, and this is how it'll stay until we maybe get new chairs along with the furniture.
That looks lovely but I'm rubbish because I liked your "old lady" style too.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Well, I arrive when it's all over bar the mumbling

Not even going to venture an opinion now so there, but to my mind as long as both you and Dave are happy with the layout and with the tv where it is on that wall (I have to admit that I wouldn't like it up that high ) then it really doesn't make sense to try to drastically change it to accommodate the new sofa.

Get Dave to add a little room facing south, so that you can shove it in there
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
That looks lovely but I'm rubbish because I liked your "old lady" style too.
Told ya!
LS you aren't old enough!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Told ya!
LS you aren't old enough!
Okay, watching the Bee Gees was a bit .
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
We are going to stick with our two recliners we have now, sell the 3rd one to the neighbours, and then see what matching furniture we want in there, cos I kinda like all the space it will give us
Well H I was just debating if I should post my views 'cos I was going to say that a sofa as big as those three chairs would never work, but thankfully I don't have to say it now 'cos you've made the decision (The right one as always )

In our house we have visitors so rarely that when they do come we tend to sit around the dining table, much easier for the mandatory cookies that they all hand out round here and somewhere to put glasses and bottles (of drink) and it stops visitors from becoming too comfortable and overstaying their welcome

A room layout should be done on the basis of what the permanent people are most comfortable with NOT on the needs of visitors unless you are in the habit of having grand dinner parties every other night
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
In our house we have visitors so rarely that when they do come we tend to sit around the dining table, much easier for the mandatory cookies that they all hand out round here and somewhere to put glasses and bottles (of drink) and it stops visitors from becoming too comfortable and overstaying their welcome
What a brilliant idea ....... that is why we have gone wrong

Helena the last photo of your lounge looks gawjus and I think I've seen a photo of your hall before but it is lovely. You and Dave have done a lovely job. I think the glass doors look fine, totally depends how open plan you want to be.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks everyone, and now I'm wondering what was I thinking in the first place, no wonder Dave said something about it. I had decided this morning, that we should shove all the chairs there, just to see how we liked it, BEFORE, heading off to pay for the sofa in the morning and I'm so glad I did that now, otherwise it would have been too late, a lot of expense for nothing and something that would probably be hard to get rid of.

We've spent what was left of our evening in the recliners watching The Voice with the telly on the wall, and neither of us have ricked necks, but then recliners tilt your head back, so the tv is in the right place to watch where it is, kinda thing

I'm going to get some of those boxes from Ikea to put in that right hand side cupboard thingie, and the left one will be for the satellite and Dave's unit for his surround sound. Two of his tall speakers will go either side of the fireplace inbetween those cabinets and the fire and they're very black and very tall and slim, so perfect for those gaps.

I've chosen a dark(ish) carpet, it's a dark mink colour, one of the colours that is in that rug, cos I'm thinking muddy paws, fed up with light coloured carpets at the old house and to move into another one with the same, I fancy a change.

I have found my desk in Tesco, cos it's a nice small corner unit, in walnut and above all, it's cheap, very cheap, been reduced from £99 to £29 it's nice and chunky as well to match those cupboards, BUT, when you get it up, it then turns into a kettle when you come to order it, so I'm wondering whether I will actually get a corner desk or a kettle I've given Tesco feedback on this and will phone them tomorrow to find out before hitting the order button methinks.

This desk will go in the dining area corner on the patio door into the conservatory the part that doesn't open, so I'll be facing out looking at all the pretty flowers in the garden when I'm talking to you lot

I have really appreciated this input here, you definitely convinced me it was the wrong way to go, and now I see you are right. I just hope smashing out those tripe glass doors is going to work too, cos once they're out, they're out and to replace it will cost a fortune which we don't have and don't want to do either, but Dave said they've gotta go cos they're dated.

I think we have brought this house into the 21st century at last, although that york stone fireplace kind of grew on me eventually, but hey ho, contemporary is the wtg nowadays, and I will get the agents round once it's finished with the new carpet and everything. Purely to see that it's been money well spent and we haven't really spent that much, it's all been down to Dave's hard grafting.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >