Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Had leather for years, the latest sofa has survived a year of puppyhood, but then the dogs never get on it anyway, BUT, having said that, Zena is always perching herself on top of the recliners when we're on them, either mine or Dave's, both leather, and so far, there are no scratches whatsoever, and her nails are terrible for scratching human skin, so at least I know my skin's not quite as tough as leather!

Avoid those silky cushions though, coz they keep slipping off, you have to get some kind of linen(ish) cushions for leather sofa's. Mind you, I do go a bit overboard with cushions on the sofa, about 12 atm, (coz nobody sits on it!) so that could be the reason they all end up on the floor! Dunelms do some lovely (cheap!) great big, linen type ones which don't slip, that's the place for cushions!
PMSL!

Neil said that about the silk cushions, shame because my living room is very oriental/thai and they would have looked really good. Will look out for some linen ones then but might be best to wait until it arrives.

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Going back to the original question of the sofa being destroyed by dogs paws, my dogs have leather bean bags and Syd always insists on digging it up to make himself comfy It is scratched and is starting to wear but then his treatment of it is extreme tbh I'm guessing Woody wont be allowed to dig the sofa up. The bean bags are meant for people not dogs so are of a very similar quality leather as our sofa's so all things considered have stood the test rather well, they're also easier and cheaper to replace than a sofa.
To be honest, he rarely goes up on the sofa, his bed or upstairs on our bed or the futon but if I ever catch him scrabbling on it he'll be for it! ;o)

Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
I asked the same thing when replacing our fabric ones a couple of years ago and bough leather after most of Dogsey recommended it. Would never have anything else now. So much easier to clean than fabric Em. You won't regret it. I love your new sofa by the way!xx
Thanks Pea, am very excited abotu it.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I feel much happier I've made the right decision.

Esme, how do you keep the mud stains off your sofa?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 10:17 AM
If I know Monty has muddy feet I shut the living room door until I've wiped/dried his feet. We also have mats by each door which catches most of the mud before he gets any further!

We're very lucky that Monty doesn't do mud. If for some reason we do get mud on the sofa then it is wiped off and then cleaned with an upholstery cleaner. Simples!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 10:21 AM
We have a leather sofa and it copes amazingly with terrier claws scrambling all over it everytime a cat walks past the window! I just give it a wipe down with leather wipes and it looks as good as new!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
If I know Monty has muddy feet I shut the living room door until I've wiped/dried his feet. We also have mats by each door which catches most of the mud before he gets any further!

We're very lucky that Monty doesn't do mud. If for some reason we do get mud on the sofa then it is wiped off and then cleaned with an upholstery cleaner. Simples!
Yeah see that won't happen in our house. Not only do we not have a door to the living room (arch) but it's the first port of call fromt he hallway or back door and no matter how much I wipe Woody clean there is always mud ;o)

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
We have a leather sofa and it copes amazingly with terrier claws scrambling all over it everytime a cat walks past the window! I just give it a wipe down with leather wipes and it looks as good as new!
Yey, now that is good news. We actually bought a leather kit from them. It was prob way more than you can get in the shops but I want to do everything I can to look after it!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 02:24 PM
My leather sofas (Lay-Z-Boy) were bought in 1999 and they still look fantastic today. Not a scratch on them
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I must try and capture the mankiness of our current ones. They are hideous!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
We have leather. There was only one scratch on one of them from Max's claws but I think they probably needed clipping then. I once dumped my pot of yoghurt on the sofa and it just wiped away so easily.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3