Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AlsatianLover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Splitting a breed - any experiences?

I'm looking to explore people's experiences if they have been involved, successfully or unsuccessfully, in splitting a breed under UK Kennel Club rules.

For example Akitas, Belgian Shepherds and Anatolian Shepherds have all been this route - some were successful and some were refused.

If you have been involved in any way, even if you only signed a petition, I'd like to know and, perhaps, gain your viewpoint.

Thanks
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't want to see a breed split in GSD.

Different type is insufficient for breed split IMO
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
I wouldn't want to see a breed split in GSD.

Different type is insufficient for breed split IMO
Agree, I hate the idea and where does it stop? do we split the alsation and gsd show types only - then where do the less extream pet, sport and working lines go - what about the german/american and all the other lines?
Split the breed and limit the gene pool all because people cant agree on how to interperate a breed standard
sorry, the whole thing is a silly farce
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Agree with the others; too messy.

With Labradors you have the royally working bred types and the royally show bred types. Then you have dual purpose bred dogs like mine who are a direct cross between the two types -- where would they fit it?

Of course, the vast majority of dogs from breeds with a 'split' (GSD's, Labs, Cockers, Springers, etc.) fall into the pet bred category. The dogs in their line being mostly pets, with a sprinkling of working dogs and maybe show dogs further back in the family history. Where would you put these? they couldn't be registered as show Labradors or working Labradors.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 04:33 PM
It is an interesting idea but it would be very complicated.

There are so many different types of GSD that how would you categorise them?

What would the purpose of a split be? Who would it benefit?

I can't see the breeders of the various types ever putting their heads together to try to produce a universal type though, so I do understand why the question has been raised.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Sticking with in good breeding practice health tests and everything else why not just do it?

As long as their are homes waiting for them thats the most important thing to me and of course the two breeds compliment eachother nicely.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Sticking with in good breeding practice health tests and everything else why not just do it?

As long as their are homes waiting for them thats the most important thing to me and of course the two breeds compliment eachother nicely.
Eh???
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post

I dont think you have understood the OP.
He is talking about dividing a breed not breeding 2 different ones.
AlsatianLover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-08-2012, 06:29 PM
One of the reasons I'm asking is because there is a considerable movement in the SV world in Germany to split between working and show types. This also seems to be gaining ground in the USA. In the UK breed splitting has always seemed to be mooted between SV and Alsatian types. However, there have been breed splits, internationally, based on conformation - the Akita was one such case instigated by the Japanese. Belgian shepherds are absolutely genetically identical - but split into 3 types (from the original KC one). Apparently the only reason the Anatolian Shepherds weren't split was the small gene pools necessary to carry on the different types.

I'm interested in getting any insiders point of view on any of these, or similar, initiatives.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Belgian Shepherds were split from the first recognition of the breed - in the 1890s. There were six separate types then, now there are four. I don't think you can use the BSD as a comparison in this instance.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >