register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: When do you supervise your dog(s) outside?
They are supervised 100% of the time when outside 23 34.85%
They are only supervised 50% of the time when outside 11 16.67%
They are only supervised some of the time when outside 30 45.45%
They are never supervised when they are outside 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Ours garden is completely 100% secure. If the back door is open they can get into their run which is concreted with mesh panels, locks and cctv. Half roofed and a room in the unroofed part. This is where they stay if we are out for a few hours or too busy to watch them. The front garden is completely fenced in with a gate that only opens from inside. The dogs are only in the front garden supervised. Through the dog run at the back goes into the back garden which is securely fenced. I do often leave the gate open so they can go into the garden as well as the run but keep an eye on them through the window. If they get out of the garden they are into the yard which is again totally dog proof but the dogs are only in there when we are. Past the yard they are into our field which is fenced for horses so in the field the dogs are 100% supervised. It might sound like we are paranoid but we live in an area where there are alot of livestock. I won't risk my dogs being blamed for anything when there are so many loose dogs roaming around and killing sheep. Dog theft also is also a concern.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Isla is only supervised for "wee wees"! So apart from first thing in the morning and last thing at night, she does what she wants. Truth be told she doesn't really spend much time outdoors unless someone is already out there (too worried she'll miss some grub falling onto the kitchen floor!), but our fences are compltetly dog proof and 6 foot high plus we back onto a farm so no worry of her getting nicked anyway.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 12:38 AM
I said 50%..

Most of the time when I am at home on my own the back door is open and they come and go as they please.. the garden is 6ft fence all around and both gates are padlocked from the inside..This is usually when I do housework etc..

In the evening I usually go out with them and just sit and watch them play..the kids are usually out there too which is probably why I watch them more..they aren't a danger to my kids but they are big clumsy clowns and cruiser thinks he is fine bouncing on the trampoline WITH Caitlin LOL..
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 08:41 AM
we have 5 ft wall and fence around our garden, whilst at the minute that is sufficient as ZAk doesn't jump in time Zeita may clear it easily...so we will have to re think it soon. When they are out I can see them from the kitchen and from the front room so can sort of say they are mostly supervised but I am not physically outside all the time. As i type I am in the conservatory with the back door open and they are coming and going as they please and i can see what they are up to....

Mel x
gillmoor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2008, 09:13 AM
we have two acres of land mostly grass, since the two youngest came we have fenced it so that they cannot get out into the nieghbours field. The other six have always stayed around and never been naughty.
I pop in and out all the time to check on them, they have the best of lives my lot Christine
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I haven't voted as my back door is open when I'm home which is over 90% of the time & I can't always see them but I can hear them Only time I' go & fetch them in is if the window cleaner is about.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I voted 100% of the time as this was the nearest I could get. I would say in all honesty, Poppy is supervised 90% of the time. Whichever one of us is out in the garden with her will need to pop back into the house for a few minutes at some point for something. She is never out for longer than 5 minutes on her own. We can see her from the kitchen window. I miss having a lounge at the back of the house so we could see her all the time.

Our back garden is completely fenced in, we have a padlock on the back gate.

If we are in the house for longer than a few minutes, Poppy will bark for you to look out or she will come in and look for you.

If the weather is nice, I will set on a blanket on the grass with Poppy, mum will sit on a sun lounger if she is in the garden with Poppy.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I have a 100% secure garden with 6ft solid fence all round so I don't supervise but then they are never left outside for long
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Well our garden has eight foot fencing all the way round....there is a gate to the side by the back door which is chained and padlocked, they only way mine can get out .........is if they ask for the key to the pad-lock or go out through the front door. But I'd say I watch them at least 90% of the time as I'm in the kitchen and the back door is nearly always open.

To be quite honest the back garden was not made so secure to keep the dogs in, it was done to keep the one bloody rabbit from escaping, but since his new enclosure has been built, even he has had his freedom chopped now they have a lovely 7ft by 7ft run to play in The rabbits not the dogs
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Well our garden has eight foot fencing all the way round....there is a gate to the side by the back door which is chained and padlocked, they only way mine can get out .........is if they ask for the key to the pad-lock or go out through the front door. But I'd say I watch them at least 90% of the time as I'm in the kitchen and the back door is nearly always open.

To be quite honest the back garden was not made so secure to keep the dogs in, it was done to keep the one bloody rabbit from escaping, but since his new enclosure has been built, even he has had his freedom chopped now they have a lovely 7ft by 7ft run to play in The rabbits not the dogs
Can I just ask how you managed to get an 8ft fence around your garden.

The reason I ask is because when I wanted to change my fence 3 years ago I was told that the maximum height I could have was 6ft and that if I wanted to go higher I would have to put up chicken wire on top, which looks crap.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >