register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: When do you supervise your dog(s) outside?
They are supervised 100% of the time when outside 23 34.85%
They are only supervised 50% of the time when outside 11 16.67%
They are only supervised some of the time when outside 30 45.45%
They are never supervised when they are outside 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 05:24 PM
we only have a tiny yard now so it's hard for them to get up to anything without me knowing what they are doing. Maggie will often take herself out there and sit on a chair in the sunshine happy to be alone. Our Yard is too small for much playing so they mostly just sleep int he sun.
Before when we had a large garden they had a dog flap and could take themselves out when ever they wanted so they were rarely supervised (was totally dog proofed).
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I've put 100%.
I used to let them out to lie in the sun etc...but since finding out how rampant dog theft is throughout the country they are not left out alone anymore, not at any point. If they are out, I'm out.It's not worth the risk IMO. People have had big dogs and little dogs go missing from gardens that they thought were secure. Dog theft is just such a big issue and only takes a moment. Best to take every precaution possible...
I am, perhaps, being over cautious, but I would never forgive myself.

We are surrounded by gardens on 3 sides and have 6 ft+ fencing. There is no direct street access...BUT....
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I voted that they are supervised some of the time.

Generally when we are home, the back door is open and the dogs come and go as they please. Our garden is securely fenced; the side gate (7ft with a nice row of metal spikes on top courtesy of the previous owner of the house) is kept locked and we are bordered on all 3 sides by other gardens...no adjoining streets or paths. None of our neighbours have children or dogs either. So there really isn't a lot of harm they can come to. Shay announces any unusual noise for the whole neighbourhood's benefit so we'd soon know if anyone was trying to get over the fence or whatever (mind you, I'm not sure how someone would go about stealing dogs of over 50kg each and having to transport them across several fences to make an escape??).

We have patio doors from the living room to the garden which means that the dogs can be seen at all times from there and from the kitchen but if I'm doing housework upstairs (something I try to do as little as possible! ); I can't see them.

Also, Newfoundlands do tend to be of the opinion that colder is better so Lola spends a lot of time outside even when it's freezing as she's more comfortable there and I don't think either OH or I are *that* dedicated that we would go outside with her every time in the dead of winter...I'll settle for supervision through the patio doors from the comfort of the sofa!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 05:39 PM
i put 50% as china is out in the garden we are generally mooching around outside and inside...and we check on her regulary but all we usually see is what sunbathing position she has moved into!
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2008, 06:09 PM
When my two are outside the back door is open and I can see them from the kitchen or family room.
Not because I am worried they will escape (the garden is secure) but they do like to dig up the plants now and again if they get bored.
If I'm upstairs doing something they come in or go into their kennel/run
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2008, 06:17 PM
My lot are sort of supervised by me.

You see I have got a CCTV system that monitors my back garden as it backs onto the beach and my cars and van, so I can see what they are doing while I'm sitting in my office via my computer screen.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
My lot are sort of supervised by me.

You see I have got a CCTV system that monitors my back garden as it backs onto the beach and my cars and van, so I can see what they are doing while I'm sitting in my office via my computer screen.
How swish Colin Like the idea of it though!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
How swish Colin Like the idea of it though!
It'd not difficult to do, as all you need to do is install a DVR card into you computer and you can get them from as little as £3.99 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Channel-CCTV...QQcmdZViewItem

Colour cameras are also really cheap as well on ebay.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I've got to supervise Dingo all the time, if I don't he manages to teleport himself to somewhere else that usually involves getting into trouble. Just wish he'd teach me his trick so I could save money on fuel costs to and from work.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
velcro dog
he wouldnt go out unless i was watching (unless there was another dog there)
he even barks b4 he poos to make sure i am watching
Anyway I dont see the point of having him on his own outside one of the points of the crate training was so he gets used to the fact when I am not here he is clam - its only play time when Im here
Mine are velcro too - they don't like being in the garden unless I'm out there with them.

(barking to let you know he pooed really made me laugh)
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >