View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Ive a tree hater next door. Was away one week & came bsck to find he had hacked down (ground level) all my castlewellan golds, nearly fainted. Im sure my BP was sky high! I'd planted them as tiny saplings. They were nowhere near his garden - 3ft away from fence. He said he had mentioned the trees to my dad who had been checking house when i was away & dad had said he didnt think
I would mind a "trim" & told him to go ahead

Anyone who knows anything knows cyprus trees dont grow again when hacked down - my poor trees
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
They were nowhere near his garden - 3ft away from fence.
That is terrible, the law has been clearly defined many times, a neighbour can only cut back branches which overhang the fence (Bounday line) and he must return the said branches to you the owner.

Anymore than this and he must obtain the permission of the owner which is you and since he did not he is most clearly in the wrong.

As you said, hacking them down to ground level will kill them stone dead.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I love trees to I do not hug them I love to stand back and admire them.

Where I previously lived our house backed onto an old orchard that use to belong to the hospital. Eventually a developer brought the land and permission was given to build a housing estate. My dad had an allotment a bit further down the road from our house and this also backed onto the same orchard he was very distressed one day when they knocked all the old poplar trees down.

Preservation orders had been put on the old oaks. One near to the bottom of our garden I use to stand at my back door many a day listening to the wind whistling through its leaves was around 200 years old.

I had the horror of all all horrors one day I watched these workman bull doze it down and drag it bit by bit and try to bury it so it wasn't evident what they had done. I was down the bottom of my garden shouting and yelling at them it made no difference the deed had been done so I rang the council the workman or rather the firm employing them got a slap on the wrist and a fine.

I was in tears all day and after that along with some other problems we encountered while building was going on we moved it ripped the heart out of the place when that tree went.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I hug trees. They have such wisdom and have seen so much.

rune
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Ive a tree hater next door. Was away one week & came bsck to find he had hacked down (ground level) all my castlewellan golds, nearly fainted. Im sure my BP was sky high! I'd planted them as tiny saplings. They were nowhere near his garden - 3ft away from fence. He said he had mentioned the trees to my dad who had been checking house when i was away & dad had said he didnt think
I would mind a "trim" & told him to go ahead

Anyone who knows anything knows cyprus trees dont grow again when hacked down - my poor trees
That's really terrible It wouldn't have brought your beautiful trees back but he should have bought you some more
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I love trees to I do not hug them I love to stand back and admire them.

Where I previously lived our house backed onto an old orchard that use to belong to the hospital. Eventually a developer brought the land and permission was given to build a housing estate. My dad had an allotment a bit further down the road from our house and this also backed onto the same orchard he was very distressed one day when they knocked all the old poplar trees down.

Preservation orders had been put on the old oaks. One near to the bottom of our garden I use to stand at my back door many a day listening to the wind whistling through its leaves was around 200 years old.

I had the horror of all all horrors one day I watched these workman bull doze it down and drag it bit by bit and try to bury it so it wasn't evident what they had done. I was down the bottom of my garden shouting and yelling at them it made no difference the deed had been done so I rang the council the workman or rather the firm employing them got a slap on the wrist and a fine.

I was in tears all day and after that along with some other problems we encountered while building was going on we moved it ripped the heart out of the place when that tree went.
That's an outrage am not surprised you were in tears, that beautiful poor old tree

Some years ago I found out that some trees were going to be felled in one of the local parks, 20 altogether, i hugged every one of them before they were gone.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Am thinking of going one step further and tying myself to a tree in protest now to recent government proposals. What do you guys think? Wonder if other people will do the same.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 05:44 PM
My mum lives in woodland - all the trees in her garden are part of an area preservation order so can't be cut down. My old house had a wonderful cherry tree at the bottom of the garden, home to a family of squirrels who used to make doing the washing up like watching a soap opera with their antics... and I would get at least one door knock a month offering to cut it down for me - NOOOO!

An old colleague who lived alongside the river looked out of her window once to find a guy on the opposite bank doing much much more than hugging a tree - I'll say nowt more than that but I'm sure your minds can fill in the rest!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2