Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Which Vacuum Cleaner do I chose?

I am in the uk at the moment and am borrowing my daughter's Vax upright bagless Vacuum cleaner and it's brill. it's got a pet suction hose which I didn't actually need to use - without it, it sucked up the dog hairs no problem. As it's much cheaper than I realised have now been looking around and realise I don't need to spend a fortune on a new one after all. To replace my old Dyson's engine is going to cost in the region of £70 and a new other brand is only slightly more expensive so am thinking I would be better buying brand new. Which one to have though? they all seem to have pet properties - can anyone recommend any of these current ones - I don't want a cylinder, it must be an upright and suitable too for tiles. There is a Russell Hobbs one in the Studio online catalogue for £79.00 which I am tempted by (it's half price apparently) but have not heard anything about RH stuff apart from kettles. It looks good and the spec. seems good but not too sure. Advice please. (I have 2 German Shedders as you can see so need a decent one).
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 10:33 AM
We just recently bought a Tesco's own hoover, £27 (reduced from £34 or something), because we didn't want to buy an expensive hoover to share with my brother and his girlfriend and end up getting broken before we move. Have to say it's pretty amazing and has proved to work better than the old Dyson my mum left at the house for us! It's doing a fab job with all the dog hairs - that's a longhaired GSD and a Rottie x so lots of shed hairs!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 10:59 AM
We've got a Miele Cat & Dog, recommended to us by a friend who also has dogs. It's very good.

I don't like Dysons.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
We just recently bought a Tesco's own hoover, £27 (reduced from £34 or something), because we didn't want to buy an expensive hoover to share with my brother and his girlfriend and end up getting broken before we move. Have to say it's pretty amazing and has proved to work better than the old Dyson my mum left at the house for us! It's doing a fab job with all the dog hairs - that's a longhaired GSD and a Rottie x so lots of shed hairs!
Oooh hadn't even thought of Tesco's to be honest. Have had electrical stuff from them before which has been good but didn't always last the distance but will go and have a look thanks.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
We've got a Miele Cat & Dog, recommended to us by a friend who also has dogs. It's very good.

I don't like Dysons.
Well the old Dyson I had was sold to us by a friend (very cheap) but we had to replace a couple of things on it and now the motor (did I say engine before? lol) is a bit dodgy and I can only use it for 10 minutes or so at a time before it cuts out. It is the first bagless one I have had so was very impressed with it but they are so very expensive new and I just can't run to their prices. Also living in Spain I need to have something reliable - if hubby has to keep bringing it back over for repair etc. I am left with nothing and by the end of his 3 weeks trip(s) will be buried in GSD hair and dust from the campo! lol will check it out thanks. Have just looked at it, looks lovely but the price is out of my range sadly. I am thinking of under £100 to be honest.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post

I don't like Dysons.
I agree with all of that!
Although pricey I couldn't do without mine!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
Oooh hadn't even thought of Tesco's to be honest. Have had electrical stuff from them before which has been good but didn't always last the distance but will go and have a look thanks.
I don't expect it to last as long as a Dyson but it comes with a year's guarantee, so even buying a new one every year, it'll be 10 years before we've spent as much as buying a Dyson! OH reckons it's got a good design too as the whole filter bit comes apart to de-clog the dog hairs, so unless the motor goes, it should last a while.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I tried the Vax - it lost suction after a while so now I have a Henry, which is excellent.
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I've got a miele. Bought it before we got the dog though so not a model that's designed especially for pet hairs. Best vac I've ever had, no problems with dog hairs and will do hard wood floors and laminate flooring no probs.It's a bit sad but I love my vac!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Dyson fan here, but they are wildly expensive
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >