View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2013, 06:05 PM
But they are taking away dogs that have done nothing to man nor beast because they look "type". got to be a law for dog on dog attacks when it isn't the first time for the dog and owner is still letting it loose knowing the damage it is inflicting?? He must be scared this time if it is true and he has sent the dog away for now??
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Yes - it's crazy. Badly crafted legislation.

I'm not sure there is much they can do for dog on dog aggression and injuries - there is a lesser piece of legislation that enables the owner to be taken to magistrates court where they get their knuckles rapped but I'm not sure they can order destruction. I am not even sure they can be fined.

A lot of owners don't realise that there is very little you can do about a dog attacking your dog - the best you can do is warn other owners in the area and stay away from where the dog-aggressive dog frequents.

Owners of dog-aggressive dogs fall into 2 camps in my view - (1) they either seek help, muzzle them and keep them leashed OR (2) they are such irresponsible owners they end up abandoned or lose and then in rescue where they are invariably pts.

Incidentally the dog in the picture is not a pitbull but seems to be a staffie.

Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
But they are taking away dogs that have done nothing to man nor beast because they look "type". got to be a law for dog on dog attacks when it isn't the first time for the dog and owner is still letting it loose knowing the damage it is inflicting?? He must be scared this time if it is true and he has sent the dog away for now??
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Unless I am mistaken, I don't think it is actually against the law to have a dog that attacks other dogs ... only a dog that attacks human beings.

I may be wrong, but that's how I have always understood the DDA.
Same here unless it's a banned breed and at this point in time we don't know if this dog is an illegal breed,experts in this field argue about what constitutes a pitt so it's very unlikely a member of the public would be able to correctly ID a pitt.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2013, 06:36 PM
There must be a law that states you must act responsibly when you have a dog who can and will maim if not on lead? Surely you should be made to deal with it properly or lose your dog, and never allow it off lead in public places?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-03-2013, 06:37 PM
So why did I get all the grief of this old guy then? Why were the police always knocking on my door. Why did I get letters and visits from the Dog Warden if there is nothing anyone can actually do even if your dog attacks another dog.
I am pretty sure there was something in the Trevor Cooper workshop about it. Unfortunately I am very deaf, and assumed Trevor would have a mike, he didn't and I was on the front row and heard about one word in 50, even though I explained my problem to him, he said he had a sore throat and couldn't speak any louder, so that was £20 down the drain.
I live in total and absolute fear of something happening with my dogs, they are never ever off lead in a public place, because of all these complaints this man made about us, I am petrified of something happening and me getting the blame, even now. Even when that dog came through a fence at Cariad, I was sure I would be the one that would get the blame for it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2013, 08:20 PM
That cavvy even looks like my Tri who was attacked by two boxers when she was about 5-6 yrs old.

At the time I was totally occupied wading in to get her regardless of any injury to myself.

The only thing I don't understand here is how she could have even THOUGHT about getting the phone or camera out?

All I wanted to do was SAVE my dog.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Horrible thing to happen and feelings are running very high about it....not surpringly really considering the severity of the attack, the disgusting amount of racist abuse bantered around on [a social network] and then there's the same old pit bull/staffie is it, isn't it, ban them all slanging matches going on. It's a dog and he is a stupid man who has no idea how to raise and train a happy family pet.....and maybe no inclination to do so either.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Well I guess the dog warden and police can say what they like but ultimately if they'd tried to prosecute there wouldn't have been legislation to carry it through. I wonder if the man was telling the police and the dog warden that he thought your dogs were dangerous to him - that is altogether different.

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
So why did I get all the grief of this old guy then? Why were the police always knocking on my door. Why did I get letters and visits from the Dog Warden if there is nothing anyone can actually do even if your dog attacks another dog.
I am pretty sure there was something in the Trevor Cooper workshop about it. Unfortunately I am very deaf, and assumed Trevor would have a mike, he didn't and I was on the front row and heard about one word in 50, even though I explained my problem to him, he said he had a sore throat and couldn't speak any louder, so that was £20 down the drain.
I live in total and absolute fear of something happening with my dogs, they are never ever off lead in a public place, because of all these complaints this man made about us, I am petrified of something happening and me getting the blame, even now. Even when that dog came through a fence at Cariad, I was sure I would be the one that would get the blame for it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-03-2013, 09:23 PM
No idea, but I was in such a state by the time he had finished that I kept well out of his way, although I did make sure all my neighbours knew what had gone on and that he had followed me on several occasions (one of my friends OH saw him and warned me) so I know it will have done the rounds and not done him any favours.
He has gone to his 'reward' now, and I hope it was fitting!!!
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I have to agree with some comments on here that if my dog was being attacked the LAST thing that would cross my mind is to get my camera out! I would getting that other dog off despite getting bitten. Also on FB there was a picture of the poor cavvie sitting there after the attack covered in blood?! It's not time for a photo shoot, get to the vets!
Also these pics have appeared on my FB page a lot and I find one particularly disturbing, which is the attacking dog clung on to the hind leg of the cavvie and someone pulling the cavvie by looks like its collar or scruff and the poor little mites tongue is blue!!! That picture haunted me all night. I'm very confused who is who in the pics, the man pulling the cavvie is behind the attacking dogs owner in some pics. Very strange. But obviously we all act differently in these situations and my heart goes out to the cavvie and his owner. Also the fate of the attacking dog who is obviously owned by an incompetent owner.
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »