View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Absolutely H totally different. We should have another thread, what do you think your dog would say to you!

Has anyone ever tried saying blah blah blah with the odd word thrown in I have!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Doggy speak is totally different to baby talk It is very adult based
Well Babba talk implies baby talk to me, but whatever I speak to my dogs the same as I speak to my sons or husband.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-11-2012, 06:03 PM
All the time

I get the same Gorden often says are you talking to me or the dog. Most times its the dog.
He chuckles at me going about my everyday things telling Dillon I am now off upstairs to cleane the bedrooms and bathroom. Ten more minutes I will be putting the washing out you coming.

I need a dog around other wise I would be talking to myself mostly.
Meg
Supervisor

13-11-2012, 06:35 PM
I think it is really important to talk to your dog it helps to build a bond between you and must be pleasing to the dog because it means they are receiving your attention.

However, as pointed out by Shadowboxer it is not a good idea to ramble on to your dog when it's on the lead because it may be on the alert to receive instructions and could become confused
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I think it is really important to talk to your dog it helps to build a bond between you and must be pleasing to the dog because it means they are receiving your attention.

However, as pointed out by Shadowboxer it is not a good idea to ramble on to your dog when it's on the lead because it may be on the alert to receive instructions and could become confused
Funny you should say that Mini, coz I would never, ever speak to Zena when we're out, except for to give her instructions, even though she's mostly right by my side, I don't utter a word unless I have to. That's so strange, I wonder why I don't talk to her when we're out on a walk coz at home, I'm nattering away to her all day long here
Meg
Supervisor

13-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Funny you should say that Mini, coz I would never, ever speak to Zena when we're out, except for to give her instructions, even though she's mostly right by my side, I don't utter a word unless I have to. That's so strange, I wonder why I don't talk to her when we're out on a walk coz at home, I'm nattering away to her all day long here
Helena perhaps you knew intuitively that it was not the best time.

I do stop walking when I am out with Chloe to give her a stroke and to tell her she is a good girl then we set off again in silence with renewed vigour on her part, not on mine I am like a clapped out old horse these days..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Helena perhaps you knew intuitively that it was not the best time.

I do stop walking when I am out with Chloe to give her a stroke and to tell her she is a good girl then we set off again in silence with renewed vigour on her part, not on mine I am like a clapped out old horse these days..
Lol Mini, surely not, but you having said that, I do sometimes say to Zena, "wait for your old mother"!!! Yes, she gets the good girl bit too, I think that's far more important than any other instruction, just to remind her that she really IS a good girl, and then that tail starts going like a propellor again, so I'm sure she knows what I'm saying there.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I've always had proper conversations with all my dogs - admittedly they have been a tad one way! My OH thinks I am totally mad, because I will always speak to the boys just as if they were humans. OH was killing himself llaughing ast weekend when he was in the garage and I was in the porch where the boys were drying off from their very muddy walk. Ben was lying in the way, and I said "Excuse me please Ben, can I get past you?" He very obligingly moved out of the doorway, and I said "thank you Ben" and walked into the house. I always speak to them as if they were human beings, and I see no reason why I should not! But OH thinks I'm crackers!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Brilliant posts.

Even the children have been heard to say: "Excuse me Loki"

(He doesn't budge though!)
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Seems like most of us are bonkers then.

I have always asked my dogs politely to move. And they do.
If they don't I step over them.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >